Status; --/:\--

"Colonel Phillips-"

"Well if it isn't the star-spangled man with a plan, what is your plan today?"
The colonel sassed to me. If I could I would've sassed back.

But I just wanted to know if Bucky was alive.

"I need the casualty list from Azzano."
I spoke quickly.

"You don't get to give me orders, son."
Oh my god why does everything have to be so hard.

"I just need one name, Sergeant James Barnes from the 107th."
Colonel Phillips pointed to Peggy, who stood behind me.

"You and I are gonna have a conversation later that you won't enjoy."
He told her, but I suspected she was unbothered. She doesn't scare easily and she's been through it before.

"Please tell me if he's alive, sir, B-A-R-"
He cut me off.

"I can spell."
His unwillingness to give me a clear answer worried me, and I knew something was wrong. He knew if Bucky was alive or not, but he wouldn't tell me.

But I got my hopes up when Phillips rose from the chair and took the paper he was writing on earlier with him.

"I've signed more of these condolence letters today than I'd care to count, but..the name sounds familiar. I'm sorry."

...

My mind was blank for a couple seconds, that means he's gone...really gone. I thought everyday for years Bucky and I would win this war together.

We'd come home and celebrate, knowing we saved the world. And we did it together. The two of us.

Because it always felt like it was us against the world. Now it felt like us against the war and we'd win it.

Not just me, not just Bucky.
Bucky and I.

But if there's hope for those who were captured...then we need to focus on them. And maybe I'll find Bucky after all..

"What about the others? Are you planning a rescue mission?"
I asked.

"Yeah, it's called 'winning the war'."
He said what? And who knows how long this war will last?

So they're just gonna let all these men who volunteered be tortured for months? Maybe even years! I'm not having that crap.

"But if you know where they are why not at least send-"

"They're 30 miles behind the lines through some of the most heavily fortified territory in Europe. We're losing more men than we're saving,"
He showed me a map of the lines and the territories he's speaking of.

"But I don't expect you to understand that because you're a chorus girl."
I was fuming.

It was either that or being stuck in a lab and doing absolutely nothing at all. When will this old man ever be satisfied?

"I think I understand just fine."
I replied coldly, trying not to yell at him. That's Tony's thing.

Tony.