Status; Flickering

[]

I left Tony in his room. I don't want to deal with his pity right now, he's always doing that. Blaming everything on himself. I don't know if it's sweet or just idiotic.

I had followed Agent Carter into a room where Colonel Phillips were, accompanied by two other men and Howard Stark over by the Hydra submarine.

"Hydra is the nazi deep science division, it's led by Johann Schmidt but he has much bigger ambitions."
She explained while I followed her.

"Hydra's practically a cult. They worship Schmidt."
Colonel Phillips added.

"So what are you gonna do about it?"
One of the unknown men asked sternly.

"I spoke to the president this morning. As of today the SSR is being retasked."

"Colonel?"
Carter asked confusedly, I was just remaining silent. I still don't know how all of this works exactly.

"We're taking the fight to Hydra. Pack your bags, Agent Carter. You too, Stark. We're flying to London tonight."

Wait-hold up a minute. And what am I? Invisible? I'm literally the tallest in the room.

"Sir."
I spoke.

"If you're going after Schmidt I want in."
Schmidt is the one that gave the man the order to kill Erskine and steal a vial.

They didn't get the vial or the serum...but they got the most important part..

"You're an experiment, you're going to Alamogordo."

I sighed.

"The serum worked!"

"I asked for an army and all I got was you."
Wow. Thanks. Nice to know I went through all of this to feel needed.

"You,"
Colonel began.

"Are not enough."
Of course I'm not enough. I'm one man. I know Tony will be by my side! And Bucky.

"With all due respect for the colonel, I think we may be missing the point here. I've seen you in action, Steve. More importantly the country's seen it. Paper."
The nameless man ordered his friend and he gave it to him.

Nice of him to believe in me. I guess..

"The enlistment lines have been around the block since your picture hit the newsstands. You don't take a soldier, a symbol like that and hide him in a lab."
Hmm. He's got a point. But what's his point?

"Son...do you wanna serve your country..."
He asked. Putting an arm around my shoulders.

"...on the most important battlefield of the war?"

"Sir, that's all I want."

"Then congratulations. You just got promoted."
That was surprisingly and suspiciously easy.

[]

I sat outside, looking around Brooklyn. I said I didn't want to go back to the camp for a while, I'd just rather sit and think.