Chapter 42

The storm had blown itself out by the following morning, though the ceiling in the Great Hall was still gloomy; heavy clouds of pewter gray swirled overhead as Harry, Ron, Draco, Neville and Hermione examined their new course schedules at breakfast. A few seats along, Dean, Seamus and Alex  were discussing magical methods of aging themselves and bluffing their way into the Triwizard Tournament. "Today's not bad . . . outside all morning," said Ron, who was running his finger down the Monday column of his schedule. "Herbology with the Hufflepuffs and Care of Magical Creatures . "Double Runes this Afternoon." smiled Harry as he thought about his third favorite class. There was a sudden rustling noise above them, and a hundred owls came soaring through the open windows carrying the morningmail. Instinctively, Harry looked up, but there was no sign of white among the mass of brown and gray. The owls circled the tables, looking for the people to whom their letters and packages were addressed. A large tawny owl soared down to Neville  and deposited a parcel into his lap — Neville almost always forgot to pack the things which his Gran made for everyone. Draco's eagle owl had landed on his shoulder, carrying what looked like the usual supply of sweets and cakes from home for him and the rest of them, "Sometimes I feel my mother thinks that we are not well fed at Hogwarts." muttered Draco. "Same with me for Gran." said Neville. They left for greenhouse 3 where they had an informative lesson about Bubotubers. "This'll keep Madam Pomfrey happy," said Professor Sprout, stoppering the last bottle with a cork. "An excellent remedy for the more stubborn forms of acne, bubotuber pus. Should stop students resorting to desperate measures to rid themselves of pimples."

As they left the greenhouse, they were stopped by Theodore Nott. Nott had taken over Sanctum's place in Slytherin. "Potter I would like to challenge you to a friendly seeker match tomorrow afternoon during lunch." " No thanks Nott. I am a bit busy tomorrow." said Harry as the group tried to leave. "Yeah. Wouldn't you like to know Harry's special moves." muttered Ron. "No Ron. Nott doesn't have any skills to copy my moves. He won't do it." said Harry. "Don't you dare insult my skills, Potter.""Keep your mouth shut Nott. I am trying to defend you," said Harry, turning away. 

BANG!

 Several people screamed — Harry felt something white-hot graze the side of his face — he plunged his hand into his robes forhis wand, but before he'd even touched it, he heard a second loud BANG, and a roar that echoed through the entrance hall. 

"OH NO YOU DON'T, LADDIE!"Harry spun around. Professor Moody was limping down themarble staircase. His wand was out and it was pointing right at a pure black ferret, which was shivering on the stone-flagged floor,exactly where Nott had been standing.There was a terrified silence in the entrance hall. Nobody but Moody was moving a muscle. Moody turned to look at Harry at least, his normal eye was looking at Harry; the other one waspointing into the back of his head."Did he get you?" Moody growled. His voice was low and gravelly."No," said Harry, "missed.""LEAVE IT!" Moody shouted."Leave — what?" Harry said, bewildered."Not you — him!" Moody growled, jerking his thumb over his shoulder at Crabbe, who had just frozen, about to pick up the black ferret. It seemed that Moody's rolling eye was magical and could see out of the back of his head.Moody started to limp toward Crabbe, Goyle, and the ferret,which gave a terrified squeak and took off, streaking toward thedungeons."I don't think so!" roared Moody, pointing his wand at the ferret again — it flew ten feet into the air, fell with a smack to the floor, and then bounced upward once more."I don't like people who attack when their opponent's back's turned," growled Moody as the ferret bounced higher andhigher, squealing in pain. "Stinking, cowardly, scummy thing to do. . . ."The ferret flew through the air, its legs and tail flailing helplessly."Never — do — that — again —" said Moody, speaking each word as the ferret hit the stone floor and bounced upward again."Professor Moody!" said a shocked voice. Professor McGonagall was coming down the marble staircasewith her arms full of books."Hello, Professor McGonagall," said Moody calmly, bouncing the ferret still higher.