If looks could kill

Start from the beginning

I stepped back, truly hurt by Mike's words. I wanted to distance myself from him to keep from doing something in retaliation I might later regret.

Seeing the wounded look on my face, Mike immediately softened.

"I'm sorry, Shane, that was completely uncalled for. I was way out of line." Putting his hands on his knees, he took a long slow deep breath before continuing. "You're right, I'm way too angry right now to punish Stacey so let's just go in there and get an explanation for her behavior and we'll deal with the disciplinary consequences at a later time."

"Alright," I replied, opening the door, allowing Mike entrance before following him inside.

"Look, I'm really sorry," Stacey gulped, trying to garner enough saliva to continue.

"Shut your mouth, Stacey. You will speak only when spoken to and your responses better be limited to the questions asked of you. Do I make myself clear?" I spoke sternly so both Stacey and Mike would know I recognized the gravity of her transgressions.

"Yes sir," Stacey replied humbly.

"I want an explanation for your despicable behavior and I want it now." Mike continued to clutch his belt tightly in his left hand as he advanced on our eldest. "Why did you take your cousin's medication?"

"I didn't think Julie would even miss the pills. I mean, I didn't think she really even needed them so I thought it'd be a quick way to earn a few extra bucks." Stacey backed away as she spoke, attempting to increase the distance between her and an extremely pissed off Mike.

"Is that how you were able to afford all those expensive clothes you've been sporting? You used the money you made off your cousin's anxiety medication to purchase them?" I asked.

Stacey nodded sadly.

"So when you told me you had saved up money from babysitting jobs and birthdays to buy those clothes, you were lying?" Mike was becoming more furious as Stacey's dishonesty was unveiled.

Stacey didn't say anything.

"ANSWER ME! I WANT TO HEAR YOU SAY IT, STACEY!" Mike's veins in his neck and forehead were bulging as his temper continued to rise to an unsafe level.

"Yes sir, I lied," Stacey admitted begrudgingly, knowing how much of a hot button issue dishonesty is with Mike.

"Did you even think about your cousin and what would happen when she needed her medication and there weren't any pills left and she couldn't get any more because it was too soon to refill? Did you think about that, Stacey, when you were on your shopping spree?" Mike asked, incensed by Stacey's callous disregard for Julie's feelings.

"I didn't think anybody would get hurt. l figured it was just a harmless way to make money."

I saw the panicked look on Stacey's face as she backed into Mike's wall, now having no way to  physically separate herself from him.

"Oh, somebody's going to get hurt alright..." Mike stood nose to nose with Stacey, his right arm flush against her ear, his palm on the wall bracing himself as he leaned in closer to whisper harshly in her ear, "...and it's going to be you, more specifically your behind."

"Mike, please," Stacey whined a futile plea. "I didn't mean to hurt Julie. I'm sorry."

"You're about to be, young lady." Mike pushed himself off the wall and tossed his belt on the bed. Turning his back to Stacey, he put his hands on his hips and commanded, "Go in my closet and get my new belt."

"Mike," Stacey softly uttered her last ditch one word plea, as tears pricked her eyes.

Whipping around to face her again, Mike yelled, "DAMMIT, STACEY, I'M NOT GOING TO TELL YOU AGAIN! GO GET ME THAT BELT RIGHT NOW!"