XXII - A prince without a crown (VI)

Wristwatch hands were about to reach the scheduled time. Behind the wheel, Shen let out a prolonged sigh. Until he left work, everything was fine: lessons had gone perfectly, session with Yang Hai Feng had allowed him to enjoy non-verbal communication and discover interesting things, such as amusing misunderstanding invoked by the young man wasn't a misunderstanding; even Li Qian's invitation - accepted - to celebrate with her, Tan Xiao and Kevin the test's success had not annoyed him. But as soon as Shen stepped off campus and remembered that evening's appointment, magic over. Who made him do it? Waiting in the street for culprit of his anxiety, Shen's main concern was how Zhao would have behaved... Although it could be said he belonged to high society in some ways, Zhao wasn't able to behave accordingly from any point of view. Zhao didn't even want to participate to Mrs Song's birthday, professor hoped at least for that evening detective would sacrifice himself in order to not look bad, starting from clothing. Man was unpredictable. But professor's thought seemed to get a positive, definitely positive response. When he saw Zhao approaching, Shen found himself almost embarrassed at sight of a chief detective different from usual: black suit and shirt outlined his toned body, silver wristwatch, lacquered shoes and he finally used the comb, creating a wave that made him look more manly. Was it really Zhao? Shen had trouble believing it. If that was their first meeting, Shen had to admit he would be very interested in conversing with Zhao. Even usual dazzling smile seemed more beautiful.

- I see you a little lost, professor. Did I impressed you? -

- Well, it's a nice change, Chief Zhao. You could also keep it outside gala. -

- Will you give me a dance? -

  Sometimes, the fact men had gift of word was really a sin... A few minutes later, the two entered the majestic residence. Reception hall was similar to many others: it was long, large with suspended chandeliers that projected more light than could be imagined, adorned very finely - probably by Mrs. Song herself - with a table dedicated to birtday presents where Zhao left his own and three other tables for buffets, full of delicacies - savory and sweet - covered with white lace tablecloths and decorated with small white, yellow and lilac flowers. There was a pleasant chamber music playing in background, even though it was barely felt because of general buzz by multitude of impeccable-looking guests. Apparently, Mrs Song was also a minister's sister.

- Completely out of place... -

- If you are out of place here, I have a degree in psychology. -

- Is it a compliment? Because it didn't look like one. -

  Zhao laughed at that repetitive raised eyebrow and patted Shen on the back.

- It is! Relax, you fit better than many of daddy's boy in here. Let's just go out there and pretend to have some fun! -

  They spent almost an hour in the back of the party. Zhao was telling Shen about some guests lives, between a glass and another and a third. The crème de la crème was there, belonging to various fields of society; some were known to professor - like the new Minister of Education, who succeeded Minister Sun - but many others were complete strangers. Zhao pointed out many young agents, some beginners, some of his age. Shen was pleased to see a good balance between men and women.

- You showed up, Junior. -

  A sudden female voice made them turn around. A young girl in a black dress over her knees, a model's body with beautiful long legs, high heels, light makeup and hair gathered in a high ponytail was approaching. Glass in one hand, clutch bag in the other, she was smiling mischievously in young chief's direction.

- Double L, you're killing it! Well, as usual. -

- Oh thank you, that's what I wanted to hear. -