XVI - All grown-ups were once children... (VII)

A sweet smell filled the kitchen air. Ying Yue was trying to make a cake for the first time in her life, specifically a paradise cake with yogurt and strawberry mousse. She thought it was easy, but she soon realized she was wrong: it was the hardest thing she had ever done! She was helped by some girls from the orphanage, but for most of the time, she watched them snatch those delicious fruits they ate as they hummed and jumped happily around the room to the rhythm of music. Little Jiu Yue couldn't wait to see her cake. After long minutes of waiting, she was finally able to approach the counter and her little eyes sparkled: she hoped the sweet-smelling sweet was as good as it seemed! Biting her lower lip and laying her hands on her hips, Ying Yue looked at the disaster she had done: flour and strawberries and yogurt marks everywhere, especially on her apron, but fortunately not on little girls' clothes. It would take all evening to clean up. She desperately put her face in her hands, and it was at that moment that she heard a cry coming from children's room. The noise was followed in unison by the sight of Shen and Zhao passing in front of kitchen door, heading in that direction. One second was enough for Zhao to lose sight of Tao Yi. Locating Shen always in the same position and immersed in his own thoughts, Zhao approached him, thinking that Tao Yi went inside.

- Did you see where the little monster went? -

- Weren't you arguing with him? -

  To which, a suddena shock ran through professor's back; he had the feeling something was going to happen. In fact, he had just enough time to name the baby boy, that his crying reached him and Zhao until the entrance. That place had such good acoustics, Zhao thought, before following Shen to the children's room, where they found Tao Yi standing in front of the door, his chest slightly turned towards them and his head bowed, as if surrendered to the situation. He had a pacifier in his left hand. Zhao didn't think twice about crossing him and fetching the newborn in his arms, trying to calm him down. Shen wanted to address the child, but he was interrupted by the arrival of a not very happy Ying Yue, with little girls.

- Tao Yi, what did you do?? -

  Professor saw the child turn around, showing an angry look and clenching his fists, as if he had been wrongly accused.

- I did nothing! -

- Don't tell me lies! -

  Boy held teacher's gaze. Ying Yue stared at him with her fists on his hips, waiting for an answer she could have believed.

-----------------------------------------------

fists on hips = pseudo-hostile, a gesture that betrays the opposite of what it represents

-----------------------------------------------

  Shen observed Tao Yi's reaction: he didn't move, his gaze didn't change; it seemed he wanted to say something, but it was like he was stuck. Since his eyes didn't look for a getaway - which would have been normal for a child, if he'd been caught red-handed - it could only mean the boy was telling the truth, but he didn't speak, because he knew it was useless. Shen stepped forward and Tao Yi glanced from below at him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

look from below = intrigued and/or impressed

-------------------------------------------------------------------

- Ying Yue, don't yell, or you'll frighten the baby. What happened, Tao Yi? -

- I did nothing. -

- Okay, then explain to us, why you were here and with that pacifier in your hand. -