XIX - A prince without a crown (III)

Zhao hated that kid, he couldn't look at him! He didn't know what the exact reason was, but the less he saw Han Chao, the better. There was already father with his paternalis which Zhao was obliged to listen every time their eyes met, as if he was nothing, unable to do anything. The old Zhao couldn't accept the characteristics that differentiated them. Zhao had always been unable to handle things on his own, until one day when he simply became angry and changed. He had learned to get by on his own, but it was still not enough: his father's shadow kept haunting him, everyone kept putting them in constant confrontation, while that kiss-ass popped up from nowhere and seemed to have everything Zhao Yunlan lacked and therefore, he was perfect according to great Zhao Xin Ci. It was frustrating! Zhao didn't want to admit it, but Han Chao was right, he was jealous, envious of not being able to be anything other than a disappointment in his father's eyes. He didn't even know why he was taking it so much at heart, since he declared to no longer consider his father... Speaking of the devil, Mr Zhao was approaching in all his irritating authority. He looked very tired.

- Stop the two of you! Behave properly, you are ridiculing the whole team! I thought I taught you better. Han Chao, go to Lin Jing and get the files of those we placed under arrest. -

  Han Chao gritted his teeth and turned to Mr Zhao, to make a slight bow.

- Yes, Chief. -

  Clenching his fists, Han Chao threw a final glare at Zhao Yunlan, who followed him with his eyes as he left, repressing the desire he had had to get his hands on him.

- Someone is in a bad mood today. -

- He's doing what you should've been doing for three months now. -

  Yeah, right, you never have that a random guy was spending sleepless nights in archives doing research, or going around asking questions because of him, because he didn't want to take a case anyone could did! Being mad at it wasn't even worth it. Zhao was about to leave, but his father took him by the left arm, making him groan with pain. Old man was about to give one of his words of wisdom, but lowering his gaze and noticing the bloody wound, he seemed to rethink it and he changed his tone, while remaining impassive.

- What were you thinking about? -

- My duty. -

- Revenge is not part of your job. Chu, take him to the hospital and then, come report. -

  The older colleague, who was waiting to check at a safe distance, approached and gave a small bow to older man, who took his leave without adding another word.

- You know they're right, do you? -

- I don't remember I asked you to interfere! -

- I'll let them shoot you next time. Let's go. -

  Already the fact of having to go to hospital was a nuisance, since Zhao didn't even like them, but the fact that, from there, Chu would've took his bike, because Zhao couldn't drive it for a few days, it was even more frustrating. When Chu left him in hospital, Zhao threatened him that, if he had ruined it in any way, he would have died in atrocious suffering. - Chu couldn't care less, of course. - If it was because of his bike seized, because he was in hospital, or because he was waiting to be called by doctor to get stitches on his injured arm, those feet beating on the polished floor were certainly not a sign of ease. Why didn't police bring a doctor on field so they could treat his wound?? Fortunately, the suture lasted a few minutes, to which Zhao was free to go home, in company of painkillers he should have taken for a few days. He needed a coffee. He saw the vending machine at the end of the entrance and immediately hurried himself to it. He would have to wait for the ball and chain to wake up, get ready and come to get him, to take him to the office. Chu could have waited with him, dammit! Why so much hurry to get report to the big boss?! Young chief shook his head, annoyed, as he was preparing to drink the hot drink, not before taking a chocolate bar just to fill his stomach. His gaze lingered on hospital wards, on people waiting more or less calmly, on the stairs leading upstairs, dedicated to most important pathologies... Something began to move inside him and a tremor took hold of his hands, which prevented him from holding back the glass he had to leave there. A lump in the throat, that indelible memory back to mind... A child couldn't understand the meaning of word "depression", also because, those eyes that had always looked at him with love were always shining bright in his presence, that warm and sweet voice was always telling him the most incredible stories. But that day that little boy was sitting alone on a chair in a narrow corridor, with his toes barely touching the floor. He didn't know what happened, he only knew he came out of that white, stinky building without his mother... Heart beating fast, difficult to regain control. But with the constant waves of cold water on his face and breathing deeply a couple of times, Zhao began to feel a little better. Once he dried his face, he leaned his back against the cold bathroom wall and waited a few more minutes, eyes closed.