Chapter 27 | For The Love Of Him

Bắt đầu từ đầu

I had to be easy with my elbow that was dislocated, and they'd given me a sling just in case I needed it, too.

"I think Michael is bubble wrapping me."

"Bubble what?" She frowned.

"I think he's hiding Camille from me like her being around is going to make me break into pieces or something."

Lina eyed me. "Well, will it?"

"No, I mean it's weird seeing them together physically, but that's his child. When I agreed to be with him I knew that Camille came with him. I told him understood."

"Well tell him that then. He probably thinkin' you tripping about it still."

And it seemed as if I'd spoken him up because a few seconds later I heard the alarm beep and then Michael was walking into the kitchen looking tired. His eyes were slightly red, and his hair was in an unkept fashion. I know he didn't look like this in court.

"Ima take my eggs upstairs," she said as Michael came over to me. "Hey Mike."

Michael head-supped her and Lina exited from the kitchen. Michael place his hand on the mid of my back and kissed my cheek. He looked down at my plate. He even sounded exhausted as he spoke.

"You tryna eat eggs now? With wires in ya mouth?"

"No wires," I spoke as he started toward the refrigerator.

He paused and turned around a smile coming to his drained face. I smiled softly. He came right back over to me and inspected my mouth. I pushed his head back and he let out a small laugh. Then before I could say anything else he kissed me very gently.

"You don't know how happy I am to hear your voice right now," he whispered his smile falling and I knew then that something was wrong. He looked me up at down. "You got the cast off too, shit. Look at you. I thought you was jus goin in yesterday for a checkup." His eyes lifted to meet back with mine.

Those red eyes weren't from lack of sleep.

He'd been crying.

I ignored his statement about the casts and asked, "Michael what's going on?"

He must have realized he was showing it all on his face, so he forced a smile and shook his head. "Nothin' Sey. Just tired."

"Michael... talk to me."

He looked like he wanted to, but he just shook his head. He pecked my lips, went to the refrigerator to grab a bottle of water, and then started out of the kitchen. I slowly got down off the tufted bench that was kept at the counter and followed him in the direction of our bedroom. I waited until I closed the door before I spoke again. He started shedding his clothes.

"Okay, this is me trying," I reminded him. "So, you need to try. Keeping stuff from each other was our downfall the first time. We're supposed to be doing this the right way this time."

My words must have resonated with him. His back muscles contracted as he pulled off his shirt and then they relaxed. He took a deep breath and turned around to face me.

"Camry is tryna fight me for full custody," he said in a low whisper his eyes dull and lifeless. My eyes widened at his words.

"She's what? What for?"

"Apparently ima unfit parent," he yanked his shirt that was still at his wrists off. He tossed it onto the messy bed beside him. "She found out about my charges. Said ima unfit parent but..." he shook his head. "That ain't what this is 'bout. I know it."