Chapter 16 | Set Me Free

All these flashbacks are from the 1st book, Gangsta Lovin'.

***
Why you keep doing me wrong? I don't know, babe.
And it hurts so bad
I'm tired of being sad
This house is not a home, the love is gone
I just can't see it, wasting anymore time
Staying in this with you
If you love me, set me free
***

Michael's POV

Stupid. Fuckin' stupid. That's exactly what I was. That's how my ass felt as I watched Semaj walk away from me. Something told me to grab her, but then something else told me to leave her the fuck alone, but this was my wife walkin' away from me. My soulmate. Not no fling, girlfriend, fiancé. Nah, this was my wife.

My wife that I just couldn't stop hurting. The woman who was strong enough to forgive me for cheating', but the thought of someone else havin' my child? So, when Cam dropped that bomb I already knew what it was.

My eyes were on Semaj when Cam said those two words and I watched how Semaj changed. How her body looked as if it'd just taken a punch to the gut, but then I saw straight rage when the words settled. Nate had been let me go, so I could've walked away, out of Semaj's line of fire before she focused her anger on me, but I didn't.

And when she came at me I just let her do it. What the fuck else could I do? This was my fault. My one mistake caused a ripple effect and now I was payin' for it. So, she had every right to be pissed. Every right to lash out like she did, but what I wasn't ready for was her taking off her rings.

The last five years of my relationship, the good, the bad, and the ugly flashed in front of me as I watched the rings drop to the floor almost as if somebody pressed slow motion on my life. And when I looked back up at her, she held that look. That look all women get when their over everything.

She ain't want shit to do with me.

But I wasn't gon' just let her walk out on me, nah. So, I picked up the rings and moved to catch up with her, but Lina jumped in front of me, stopping me. Simone looked at me in disgust before running behind her sister, through the crowd of people who were still watchin'.

Then I saw mother and I'd done a lot of shit in my life that disappointed her, but this-what I did to Semaj-personally hurt her to the core. It hit home. I had followed right behind Joseph's footsteps. I stepped out on my vows, I broke my wife, and I got another woman pregnant in the midst of it all. I had broken every damn promise I ever made.

"You ain't right," Lina snapped at me, a scowl on her face. "You ain't shit and my cousin don't need you, so keep yo muthafuckin' distance."

I clenched my jaw, pushin' Lina's hand off my chest.

"Lina, this ain't got shit to do with you. I get it, you Semaj's cousin, but stay in your damn place."

"You done got fucked up aleady, nigga." She looked me up and down. "Don't let me be the next."

She turned around, walking away, and I looked at everyone that was standing around staring.

"WHAT?!" My hands stretched out to my sides. "Did y'all get a good fucking show?! Everybody get a laugh in? Now get the fuck outta my face!"

People started spreadin' like wild fire as I turned my back to them, rubbing my hands down my face. I took a deep breath, tryna figure out what I needed to do. What could I do to make this easier for Semaj. I ain't know the first place to start or even the words to express how sorry I was. How much hurting her again hurt me.

I never wanted to break her. That was never my intention. I admit to wanting to hurt her for the way she hurt me, but as we started buildin' our relationship back up I realized that wasn't right. Getting back at my wife because she did something to me wasn't the way to go about shit. I learned it the hard way but I ain't anticipate getting nobody pregnant. Damn sure not a one night stand that ain't mean shit to me.