13 | hickeys

The next day, Taehyung woke up to a message from Jungkook.

"Hey sorry for yesterday. I was just... feeling too many things at once. Wanna talk?"

Feeling his heart racing, he quickly replied to Jk's text : "Yeah sure".

"How about a video call" Jungkook told him via message, making him gasp.

Was Taehyung ready to take that next step? I mean, texting the guy was one thing, seeing his pretty face was another. He already knew that video calling him would have made him blush like crazy, his face turning 50 shades of red.

But he was too eager to talk to Jungkook after all that time to hold back, so he found himself accepting his request. "Alright let me just fix my hair and remove my glasses first hahah" he texted him back, feeling like an absolute idiot.Once he was done, he waited a few secs then took a deep breath and told Jk to start the call.

Once the other boy's name appeared on the screen, Taehyung pressed the green icon to start the video with trembling fingers.

A few seconds in and he was already bursting with emotion and a good dose of nervousness. The boy behind the screen was overwhelmingly cute, his toothy smile making him melt. His eyes were round and dark, like two sweet chocolates, his hair looked soft and silky to the touch. He was wearing a plaid shirt and little hoop earrings which suit him incredibly well.

From staring into his starry eyes, Taehyung shifted his glance to his neck, where he noticed a visible bruise. He guessed it was just a hickey, although it was so red and looked.. painful.

"Hey" Jungkook's voice on the other end of the phone was a bit nasal but still adorable as he remembered.

"hey" Taehyung awkwardly replied, feeling a bit insecure about his appearance, although he was no less handsome than him.

"Long time no see" he then added, flashing one of his boxy smiles. The younger boy looked at him in awe.

"Cute~ Did you change your hair?" he then asked, tilting his head. Taehyung's hair was of a light mint color which was different from the vibrant blue Jungkook recalled seeing on him last time they saw one another.

"Hahahah no, it's just.. the hair dye's wearing off" Tae chuckled, scratching his nape. Thanks to that comment, the initial embarrassment seemed to have died down.

"So.. how are you doing lately?" asked Jungkook at that point, looking away.

"I'm good, what about you?" Taehyung said, already knowing the boy's answer wouldn't have been pleasing to hear. Just then, Jungkook frowned, assuming a distraught expression, right before breaking down crying.

All Tae wanted at that moment was to wipe his tears away and confront whoever was responsible for his pain. But all he could do was watch as Jungkook sobbed silently on the other end of the phone, wishing to comfort him, hug him, cuddle him, tell him everything would have been alright.

"Yoongi and I...broke up" the younger boy finally found the courage to say in a feeble voice. Of course Tae had to pretend like he didn't know that already, so he simply said "Really? I'm so sorry" his big brown eyes widening in an attempt to look shocked.

"No, it's fine... it had to end eventually. Things weren't going well between us lately, it was just a matter of time before.. before-" Jungkook couldn't finish his sentence, unable to word out whatever he was about to say.

"before what.." Taehyung whispered. He hated to be that intrusive but at the same time, he couldn't just stay there and do nothing while his friend was shedding tears in front of him.

"He.. cheated on me" the boy's voice was now lowered to a whisper. He had stopped crying. Now all Taehyung could hear was him breathing slowly and sniffing up with his nose, while drying off his tears with the palms of a hand.

"Oh my God.. what a bastard-" Taehyung muttered, then placing a hand on his mouth as he realized he had been a bit too vulgar.

"I'm sorry.. did I say it out loud?" he apologized, feeling his ears getting red.

"No it's ok, you're right. I thought he cared about me like I did. Turns out he was only using me for sex" he said in a disgusted tone, narrowing his eyes to a thin line.

Hearing the word "sex" coming out of the boy's mouth made Taehyung feel somewhat uneasy.
Maybe cause he had always seen Kookie as this cheerful boy with a bunny-like smile and soft boy appearance, so it was hard for Tae to picture him as something more than that. As someone less innocent.

So since he had remained silent after Jungkook's last sentence, the latter took the floor once again to apologize.

"I'm sorry, I'm such a mess.. I shouldn't be dragging you into my problems.."

But Taehyung wasn't kidding when he said he was gonna be by his side: he was truly willing to offer his help and support.

"Don't worry... I'm here to help you, remember?" he smiled warmly, hoping that gesture would have reassured Jungkook. But still, there was something he really needed to get off his chest before they could end the call, so he went ahead and spoke again.

"Can I ask you something, Jungkook?"

"Oh, yeah go ahead" replied the younger boy, now looking a bit more serene.

"those things on your neck... those are hickeys, right?" Taehyung said, already regretting being that frank with him.

The other boy was quick to put a hand on the visible bruises in order to hide them, confirming Taehyung's assumptions.

"Jungkook?" the mint haired boy cocked an eyebrow.

"Let's just say he wasn't the kindest when angry" the younger boy commented, not being able to stand the other's gaze.

"He.. abused you?" Taehyung found himself raising his voice for the anger that was starting to built up inside him.

"Shush! I don't want him to hear!" Jk hissed at him, his index finger pressed on his lips.

"Who's there?"  an unfamiliar voice caught Taehyung off guard, startling him. That only meant one thing.

There was someone else in Jungkook's room.