Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"Let's cut class."

Muntik ko nang maibuga ang iniinom kong tubig sa sinabing iyon ni Jessica. She sounded bored, and placed both of her feet atop the desk. Sinita ko siya pero inignora niya lang ako. She yawned and throw her head back, glancing at me.

"Ayaw mo?"

"May quiz tayo sa Araling Panlipunan mamaya, Jessica." Mahinahon kong wika sa kaniya.

"Eh ano ngayon?" she rolled her eyes. "Hindi mo naman siguro ikakamatay ang isang missed quiz."

Natahimik ako sa sinabi niya. I glanced down at my lunch box. We've been friends for a week now, and so far, I am starting to like her. She's not like Denise or Shanna. Whatever she's thinking, she's saying it out loud. Jessica Marfori has a strong female voice, something I adore about her. Kaya nga lang, she's often judged because of the way she talks and dresses. I even heard girls badmouthing her at the ladies' room. Hindi ko nalang sinabi kay Jessica because I don't want to hurt her feelings.

And maybe they're badmouthing me too because I'm hanging out with her. I learned to ignore what they're saying because I'm happy with her company anyway. Those people who are talking ill to us couldn't even return my smiles when we bump across the hallway.

"Kahit na. Baka magalit sa akin si Mama."

Nag-angat ng tingin sa akin si Jessica mula sa kaniyang phone. Pinaningkitan niya ako ng mga mata.

"Based on how you talk about your mother, I couldn't imagine her getting mad at you. Atsaka, kilala naman talaga ng buong La Union ang Mama mo bilang isang eleganteng babae."

"That's why I shouldn't disappoint her." I pointed out.

Jessica snorted. "Ever the good girl, Anna..."

Ngumuso ako. Even though we have completely different beliefs in life, I like how she's respecting our differences. Hindi niya ako pinipilit sa mga gusto niya. And she doesn't get mad at me for liking the things that I like.

"Susunduin ka ni Blake mamaya?" biglang tanong niya sa akin.

Nagulat ako at napatingin sa kaniya. Palagi ko ring kinukwento sa kaniya si Blake. Ganun din ang ginagawa ko kapag magkasama kami ni Blake. Si Jessica nalang palagi ang bukambibig ko.

"She seems good to me..." Blake commented, one afternoon, while he's driving me home. "You should let me meet her some time."

Tumango ako at sumang-ayon. Jessica is really a good person. And she's so fun to be with. Even though she's been misunderstood by many, she's cool and a ball of sunshine despite the black outfit scheme.

She kept her heart pure and her nails black.

We haven't talked about what happened at the car. We both pretended it didn't happen in the first place. Until now, I'm at a loss for words whenever I think about it. Gusto ko itong ikwento kay Jess, pero nahihiya ako. she is so experienced when it comes to relationship and boys. Marami na siyang naka-relasyon. She knows exactly what to say, how to act, and what to do with boys. While I'm left gasping in the dark.

Ilang araw nang ginagabi ng uwi si Papa kaya naisipan kong dalhan siya ng pagkain sa office niya. I told Blake about it, and he said it must be because the hacienda needs more workers and it's the peak season. Sumang-ayon naman siya na tutulungan niya ako.

I packed some tuna sandwiches, apricot juice, several apples and oranges, grapes, and a lettuce salad in my picnic basket while Blake waited patiently at the formal living room. Nagpatulong ako kay Manang Joji sa paghahanda ng mga dadalhin ko kay Papa.