Chapter 36

“Wow! Is this your house Leah? It’s like a castle!” Justin exclaimed as I walked through the front door of the house, Melissa, Lane, Bronson and Chevron all stood just inside the front door along with two new maids that I had never met before.

“Mel! You’re still here...why are you all lined up?” I asked curiously, but Melissa only motioned me further inside so that everyone else could come in too.

“Master Gallers, we have been instructed to serve you and your family during your stay here in California. I am Bronson, the butler. Melissa is our child minder, Chevron is our chef, Jessabell and Annette are our two maids, both will work their way around the home every morning and ensure the house and rooms are clean and to our regular standards. If you or the children wish to travel anywhere without Miss Munroe’s direction then please feel free to request a ride from Lane, the house driver.” There was total silence when Bronson was done speaking, looking around at everyone I couldn’t help but cringe. They were speechless because they had never run into anything like this; it was probably a bad first impression for them.

“Thank you Bronson, a tour of the house may be in order later? So that my father and his family become familiar with the layout.” Bronson nodded at that, I never really spoke that formally to Bronson and he knew better than to call me ‘Miss Munroe’ too many times. We had gone over the name calling thing so many times in the past that he had begun to call me Munroe instead of Leah. I liked it, because that was his name for me.

“Come back in a few minutes, I think the shock should have worn off by then.” At that dismissal before following them down towards the kitchen, likely they were going to talk and gossip about the country hicks that had landed in the middle of their nicely polished home but that was their thing and I’d leave them to it...so long as none of the ‘country hicks’ overheard anything than it was none of our business.

“So yeah, mom probably asked Bronson to introduce everyone. Bron, Mel and Che are the longest serving staff here...oh and Lane. Jessabell and Annette are new to the team, don’t look so freaked out! Geez, anyone would think you lot haven’t been in a hotel before, just think of it like that? Che must be cooking the entire time we’re here, if you don’t want to drive around then let Lane take you out. He hates sitting around the house all day, so the more people he takes out the better...” I died off when Trisha gave me a shocked and almost disgusted look when I explained everything; it was as if the thought of having people wait on her was the last thing she ever wanted.

“What if I want to cook? Or go for a walk without being driven around? What do they do when there is nothing to do?” Trisha was obviously freaking out about having workers around the house; I might have to remind her that she had workers out at the ranch and that it was more or less the same thing.

“Then you can cook if you want? You will just have to tell Che that he isn’t needed for however long you want to cook, the same goes with Lane and Mel, if you don’t want a driver or babysitter then just let them know. We’re one of a few places here that they work for and between; if there is no work here they go to the next house and so on. It’s like at the ranch, if you want to care for one of the horses then you do and I go onto the next horse.” Trisha seemed to relax at that; there was just no easy answer for Bronson and the two new maids. Bronson had never been dismissed for the day, sure he took naps and rested when I wasn’t in the house but he had never been sent home early. I don’t even think the idea of being sent home early would sit too well with him, but I was sure he would be while we were here.