Chapter 32

Muffled noises woke me from slumber then the sudden yank on my feet made me yelp as the throbbing pain in my ankle turned sharp and spiky. Gritting my teeth though I allowed which ever idiot it was to pull me from the culvert inch by slow inch. Though when I was complete pulled out I half expected to be laying face down in the dirt, instead I was draped over someone’s arm as they lifted me into a standing position.

I clutched at their arm when pain raced up my leg, putting any amount of pressure on it was a bad idea and I lifted my foot off the ground to indicate that it was injured. "Are you okay Leah? God we were so worried when Butter-Bean showed up without you!" The voice and arm belong to Declan and I turned without a word and buried my face in the crook of his armpit, not wanting to let go of the sudden safety.

"I fell and did something to my ankle. Can we go home now?" I asked, pulling away from him slightly. I noticed then that his face had black soot smudges all over it, his clothes too had a fine cover of soot. Pulling away even further I looked around and noticed that the area I had been in was completely burned through; the fire could be seen in the distant fields.

"Sure we can go home, I'm just glad you're safe....the bottoms of your shoes are completely melted though." Declan handed me over to someone else, I smiled in relief when I looked up to see Devyn staring down at me.

"Come on, let’s get you up here." Devyn didn't give me much time to prepare as he pulled me easily out of the ditch. I half expected him to set me down on my own two feet but he carried me to the truck that they had obviously driven up on.

"Devyn, it's okay...really. I'm okay." I said reassuringly, but Devyn didn't seem to hear as he shook his head and placed me in the back of the truck, buckling my safety belt in place. He wouldn't look at me as he worked so I grabbed both his hands and held them still, hoping that it would get him to see me.

Slowly he did look up and I could see tears in his eyes, "I was so scared Leah, so, so scared." His voice broke a little, I felt my heart do a little flip at the thought that Devyn might cry over me. It was weird of me to think so, so I wrapped my arms around him as tightly as I could, rocking him gently as I kissed his hair.

"I'm sorry you had to feel that way Devyn, sit in the back with me?" I didn't know what else to say that would ease his worries. He nodded though, taking my safety belt off of me and scooping me up. It was a little awkward but eventually we managed to settle ourselves in comfortably, Devyn held me tightly in his lap.

Declan approached without so much as a word and closed the door before he climbed into the front and drove us all back towards the house.

When we arrived Trisha came running towards the truck, I could see the worry and panic on her face but it eased a little when she spotted me. The truck had just come to a stop before she yanked the door open and threw her arms around me, Devyn moved back a little in his seat to allow Trisha in.

Unlike Devyn though Trisha began crying, it was so weird because she wasn't my own mom but she was treating me just like I was one of her kids.

"Leah, oh we were so worried! We had thought the worst, are you okay? Oh what am I saying, of course you're not okay! Devyn bring her into the house," Trisha was pulled away by Declan; he patted my knee before ushering Trisha into the house.