Chapter 33

Sorry about the typos! I haven't read through to take any out.

I'm also thinking about ending this story soon, what do you all think? It's funny because what I had initially planned to happen never really did, so I feel weird trying to steer the story towards the ending I've already written.

-shrug- I ish so confuzzled!!

___________________________

"Where is my daughter? Leah! Where are you?" Groaning at the sound of my mom's shrill voice I burrowed deeper into my blankets, feeling Devyn's arm tighten around me comforted me more than he would know.

"Leah? Oh my god, it's like a prison up here...why is my daughter sleeping in the attic, and who is that?" Sighing loudly and in annoyance I flicked the covers back from my body and pulled myself to rest on my forearms. Did my mother not take into consideration that I was extremely tired and not in the mood for drama?

The glare I sent towards her seemed to stop her in her tracks and she hesitated a few moments, "Leah? Is that you? Oh my poor darling!" Rolling my eyes I moved into a sitting position, swinging my legs over the edge of my bed, my feet resting against the wooden floor.

"Mom! Seriously? What the hell are you doing here? I'm fine, you didn't have to fly all the way out here just to see if I was still alive." Devyn put a hand against my shoulder, it didn't comfort or calm me down like he had probably hoped. Strangely it fuelled whatever anger I felt towards my mother, now Devyn was going to see what I was really like on a bad day.

"I came to make sure you were okay and weren't being treated like a slave, don't you remember what I said before you left? I had to make sure that you were fine." I remembered well what my  mom had told me before I had left California, it echoed in my  mind and made me snort. It seemed so ridiculous what she had warned me about back then that I couldn't  believe I had come to Montana thinking about all of that.

"Well as you can see, I'm fine so why don't you go back to California or New York...or where ever you flew in from. I don't need you here!" At that I felt Devyn's hand tighten a little around my upper arm, which drew my attention to his face.

"Leah, calm down." Though he was only trying to help, Devyn had no idea of mine or my mom's past or even our relationship or lack of.

"Stay out of this Devyn, no one asked you to butt in." The words came flying out of my mouth before I had time to process them, the instant change in Devyn's expression had me reeling back in shock as I scrambled to say something...anything that would tell him how sorry I was.

But he didn't give me time, he let go of my arm and stormed from the room, closing the door quietly behind him. Refusing to look at my mother I sat there as everything sank in, the fact that I had more or less told Devyn to shut up, that my mom had seen it and that she was still standing there.

"I'm sorry Leah, I didn't realize you would like living out here....like this. I'll leave you here in peace until you call me. But I didn't just come out here to make sure you were healthy and happy, there is something else. I've been keeping it a secret for a long time because I didn't know how to tell you and I didn't know how you would react. Will you hear me out?" Looking up at my mom then I nodded, what else could I do? My ankle looked like it had been replaced by a grapefruit, a big purple one.