Chapter 30

So Devyn didn't win, his second and third rides were as short lived as his first, though he did improve slightly with each ride. That didn't mean I wasn't cheering as loudly as I possibly could, I even think I might have blown my vocal chords in his first competition, but I at least had a good time doing it!

"Hey Devyn! Those were great rides!" Came the millionth sort of congratulation since the bareback bronco ride. Devyn, as he usually did just tilted his head and smiled, we were making our way through the crowds and stopping whenever I saw something interesting or when Devyn wanted to explain something.

"Thanks Shae, I'll see you around." Devyn responded with an easy smile and tilt of his head, the way we were walking through the crowd and stopping at every second person I doubted Devyn would make it to his next event on time.

Every second or third person wanted to stop him and chat; I just stood back most of the time as Devyn offered that lopsided smile and a few kind words. He was so unlike the guy out at the ranch, who was always serious during work and a total dork.

When we reached his next event, a whole twenty minutes after he was supposed to Devyn introduced me to yet more people. There were a few familiar faces from his last event that had come over and while Devyn chatted to the people I was not comfortable around I kind of went off and began talking to Amber and Chloe.

"Seriously, how'd you end up out here? And dating one of the Corlin brothers to boot?"I realized after a few times being asked this question that snagging one of the Corlin boys was a great feat.

 "I failed a class so my mom shipped me out here...well that and I kept cutting class to go surf." Both girls found that hilarious and began laughing, I smiled because it was funny now but a few months ago I wouldn't have found it so amusing.

"We do the same thing sometimes! Not so much to ride bucking broncos but to go trail riding and what not, I hate school. I don't know why my parents won't let me quit and carry on riding; it's what I want to do after school anyway." Chloe was a girl after my own heart and I suddenly felt like I fit in great, I waved Devyn off when Chloe and Amber more or less dragged me towards the stadium seats. This time around I was happy to go with them, Valerie was off somewhere and I would have been utterly lost.

"So what's it like living with Valerie? I heard she is a psycho to the core, especially when it comes to Devyn. Did you know she scared off three of his past girlfriends because she thought they weren't good enough for him? And I mean, one of the girls was real nice...total sweetheart and was completely heartbroken when she broke up with Devyn. I don't know why he still calls her a friend." Even though I knew Chloe and Amber were trying to get some form of gossip out of me I found it hard to keep my mouth shut. I hadn't been able to talk about Valerie to anyone around me so had all this pent up need to talk and b*tch about her.

"Oh my god! When I first got here she was so bad, like absolutely trying to scare me off the ranch and it got even worse when like...Devyn took an interest in me. She hit me, swore at me, called me a b*tch and probably worse to her mom, I wanted to hit her so bad but because my mom wants me to work things out with my dad I just told Declan and Trisha what she was doing. It was probably immature of me but I'd rather not have to dirty my hands with dealing with Valerie." Despite everything, it felt so good to gossip and actually relate to someone about something that wasn't sport or school life.