Chapter 8

The next day was Monday, and I was up early getting showered and dressed for my time at school. I knew I probably wouldn't be able to start right away but if I could I wanted to look my best, it was a force of habit really and one I wouldn't forget anytime soon. After I had showered, it was back to the room where I quietly tippy toed around for makeup, brush and clothing before going back into the bathroom and getting changed and done up.

Today I wore 'boyfriend' jeans that had rips in a few places, a loose fitting white v-neck and a navy blue blazer thrown over the top. I considered it more casual the classy, it was probably more classy than casual for the area but wasn't about to say that out loud yet. I left my hair down but considered plaiting it later once it had dried.

"Morning Leah, you're up and dressed early." Trisha was surprised, as were the ranch hands who were currently sitting around eating breakfast. They more than likely assumed I was a princess and liked to sleep in; the joke was obviously on them as I often rose early to go surfing.

"Yeah, I'm usually awake early in California so that I can go surfing. But I can't do that now so I figured I'd continue getting up early to get ready for school and then later on work." I finished lamely as I sat down at the table with everyone else, I had no idea when school began or when we even left to go down to Butte, but it was better to be ready than not.

"Well, that's good to know," Adrian muttered as I poured myself a glass of juice. I ignored him, still angry at his questioning from the night before. Usually, I wasn't one to hold on to grudges, but then surfing always helped me get rid of them or at least dislike a person less. Poor Adrian, I was going to hate him until he apologised but he didn't seem like he was in much of a hurry.

"Might want to drop the lip if you're going to work for me." Frowning at the direct order my mind scrambled to say something anything to fire back at him.

"Can't see that happening anytime soon unless you stop being a wanker. But that seems ingrained like the dirt on your face." I tried to keep the quiver from my voice, inside I was fuming at the guy. If he wanted to be this way, then I'd react the way I often did when guys were d-bags, and that was by giving as good as I got.

"Leah!" I heard Trisha exclaim in surprise; surprise was also written across Adrian's face. A spoonful of breakfast was frozen half way between his plate and mouth as he eyed me, everyone had stopped talking as soon as Adrian had begun having a go at me, but suddenly someone snorted from somewhere.

Turning to look down to the source of the noise I could see one of the guys...Colin, I think his name was, having a hard time keeping his laughter to himself. But it was like a chain reaction, and soon enough people were laughing or giggling up the table until it was just Trisha, Adrian and I that wasn't laughing.

I continued to stare at Adrian, narrowing my eyes to see what he would do. But eventually he cracked a smile too, and I felt myself relaxing.

"Lord help me if you're this mouthy when you're happy, all right fine! No more lip from me and no more out of you missy, deal?" Nodding at the arrangement, I shook Adrian's too when he held it out across the table. Well, I had at least impressed one man, now I just had to work on everyone else, bar Sonia and Colin, they might have been the two friendliest and open people on the team.

Glancing up at Trisha I offered a smile, she didn't seem impressed and didn't offer a smile in return, so I turned back to breakfast and made a face at Adrian. Chances were I was in trouble with Trisha, and she would string me out as she had with Valerie last night.

I was happy though, in some ways I felt like I fit in with the grubby ranch workers more than I did with the family. At least they could laugh, Declan was in two minds about being a father or a good friend. Trisha, though she had qualities I liked in a person she seemed too motherly and a little smothering for my liking or even what I was used to.