Chapter 35

“So you’re really staying here? On the ranch?” I groaned and rolled my eyes, this had to be the millionth time that Devyn had asked the question, it still didn’t seem to sink in for him yet despite the fact that we had been hanging out for the duration of my recovery. He refused to leave my side for fear that I would run back to the city with my mom and brothers.

“Devyn if you ask me that question one more time I’m going to have to do something drastic.” I couldn’t keep the smile from my face or the laugh from escaping my mouth as I turned to see Devyn smiling just as happily at me as he had almost every other time.

Seeing him chase after me I squealed and began running in the opposite direction, though it was still like hobbling to some people. Devyn let me get a fair way before I felt his arm wrap around my waist and pull me up against him, we were both breathing heavily. Goosebumps seemed to bloom from my ear down, the ear that Devyn was currently breathing hard against.

Shivering a little I tried to shake the thoughts that suddenly entered my mind, “what drastic things will you do Leah?” I could hear it in his voice, feel it in the way he held me. Devyn had ideas running through his head that probably mirrored mine but I wasn’t going to voice them out loud in case I chickened out and backed away.

Turning in his arms I looked at his lips for a long time, they were inviting, soft and warm and curved up into a cheeky grin when I began staring at them too long. Eventually my gaze locked on to Devyn’s eyes and someone I knew he understood what I could not say, his grip around my waist tightened just a little bit before slacking again.

“You’ll just have to wait and see, won’t you?” I teased, kissing him on the cheek as I pushed against his chest. We were still inside the house and everyone was still sat at the dinner table, it was a last gathering before Peter and my mom went back to New York. Caleb had also made the decision to stay, getting his hands dirty was something he enjoyed...or so he said.

I still wasn’t convinced he was staying to get his hands dirty, I think he wanted to see if he could get himself a country girl just like Peter had managed.

Sure, it was amusing how quickly Sonia and Peter and declared their interest in each other but they had and they were both smitten. It made me wonder if I had moved too slowly with Devyn, that I hadn’t shown enough affection with him or want. My mind instantly turned to what could happen between us, sex...it was still such a foreign idea and every time I worked up the nerve to initiate anything more serious than kissing with Devyn I chickened out.

“I’m looking forward to it Leah,” Devyn’s whisper brought me back to the now, I was locked in his arms, in Declans home and I was totally comfortable with that.

Instead of pulling away like I usually did I threw my arms around Devyn and pulled him closer, everything that scared me melting away as he wrapped an arm around my shoulders and buried his face in the crook of my neck. “It’ll be okay Leah.” Somehow I knew what Devyn was talking about and trusted what he said completely, out of the both of us I hoped he knew what to do.

The next day, while down at the airport in Big Falls saying goodbye to my mom and Peter I checked my cell phone and realized there were a few calls made just the day before from a familiar number. “Devyn, hang on I just need to check my voicemails.” I yelled to Devyn as he continued walking down the street.