Chapter 12

"Stay away from Devyn! He's mine." Was the first thing that greeted me as I stepped into my room, the second thing to greet me was a fist flying at my face. I didn't have time to dodge the hit and felt the blow against my left cheek, it knocked me sideways, and I went tumbling into the doorway.

It didn't take me long to recover, and I was launching myself at Valerie, she wasn't expecting me to fight back. In fact, the look of surprise on her face made me smile as I threw a fist at her face, the advantage I had was the two rings on my fingers, and I saw them graze her face and leave marks behind.

"Ow! You're going to pay for that!" Valerie said as I felt my head tug sideways and a punch to my ribs. The blow left me breathless but I felt myself being pulled away from Valerie by a pair of strong arms. I was about to say something, but when I was put out in the corridor with an angry looking Trisha all the fight left meantime, and I moved away from her.

It took a few more minutes before Valerie was brought out, she too looked wild until her eyes landed on Trisha. It seemed Trisha had this way about her, no matter how angry you were the silent, withering look she gave a person was enough to make them docile again.

And the same thing happened with Valerie, she immediately stopped fighting and stood with her head hung, refusing to meet anyones eye.

"Would someone care to explain what in gods name you're both doing? Valerie? Leah? Someone better explain right now or so help me I'll spank you both!" The thought of spanking was unsettling, if ever I'd gotten into a fight in California I wouldn't have been reprimanded in the slightest. Usually it was a congratulatory clap on the back and a 'well done' not what I was currently getting.

"It's all Leah's fault, she has a problem with me and Devyn." I couldn't believe what I was hearing and snapped my attention to Trisha, who's evil gaze was now settled on me.

"That's not true! I had just walked into the room and Valerie punched me in the face, she's upset because Devyn talks to me and showed me around school today. Like I said Val, I don't want him so you can have him!" This was ridiculous, Valerie was ridiculous too and I wanted to go back to California to my Zen life and the quietness that I knew would be waiting for me there.

"Valerie! Devyn is not yours to be protective over, how many times have we told you that? You're friends and until he decides otherwise you can't keep him from befriending other girls, you're both grounded for a week. Valerie on top of your grounding from last night and all the conditions that go with it you're to come home after school, muck out the horse stalls, milk Betty and do your homework. No television for you. Do I make myself clear? If you continue hating Leah, then the punishment will be harsher for you. Leah, I would like to confiscate your phone, laptop and iPod for the week. Please retrieve them for me." Red flags began blaring as soon as my punishment was dished out, I couldn't believe I was being punished for defending myself.

Instead of doing as Trisha asked I shook my head and walked down the stairs and out of the house, I could hear Trisha yelling out for me but I continued on walking.

I don't know where I was going or what direction I was heading but I followed the dirt road that led up to the house. It was a good thing that the summer sun set late because I walked for a half hour to burn off steam before I realised I had no idea where I was. Talked during my walk I had veered off the road and begun walking through one of the many fields that sat around the house.

"Uh oh," I said to myself before turning back to look the way I'd come. Not too far behind me sat Declan atop one of his horses, I cringed at what he'd have to say of my walking out of the house.

But as he came closer the only thing he did was hold a hand out, I took it but wasn't prepared for being pulled up on to the creature and took a little while to settle myself behind Declan. My heart was pounding as I; I was sitting on top of a horse! The feeling was surreal and I was left utterly speechless by it all.