Chapter 27

“Declan? What would happen if I started dating Devyn?” I just out and said it, there was no point in going around in circles worrying about what Declan might or might not say. He paused mid-stride, a frown fell across his face and I wondered if I had caught him completely off guard.

"Why do you say that?" He asked as he went to close the door behind me, we were standing in his office. I had probably interrupted something important but this was more important as I did want to try things out with Devyn before giving up on the thought of a relationship completely.

Shrugging my shoulders, I tried to play it cool. On the inside my emotions were a quivering mess as I slowly sat down in the seat opposite Declan's. I could see him thinking my question over; at least he wasn't outright rejecting the idea so I figured there was hope for this yet.

"Funny you should ask that question, Devyn was in here yesterday asking the same thing." The sudden smile that burst across Declan's face made me relax a whole lot more than I thought I could, given the situation. But if Devyn had already asked Declan then that must have meant something?

Butterflies began fluttering in the pit of my stomach and I couldn't stop myself from laughing, no matter how hard I tried to keep them in they burst out and I was soon giggling like a mad woman, snorts and all.

"He was seriously in here? What did you say? Please don't tell me you put your foot down?" I begged, I didn't even have to think twice about doing it. If I could I would have gotten down on my hands and knees and begged him to take back his word, I had been so sure that Declan would stop any relationship between Devyn and I.

But he only smiled, "yeah, he was more nervous then you. I didn't say he couldn't date you but I made it very clear that if he ever hurt you then I would hurt him," before Declan was even done talking I was throwing myself at him, hugging him for not being an overbearing father, for actually thinking of me and not himself at a time like that and mostly just for being awesome.

"Thanks Declan, I really appreciate it." That would have been the perfect moment to call him dad, but I just couldn't bring myself to utter the words. Sometimes when I was alone I would practice saying dad, but it sounded so awkward and not sincere so I held of saying it to him.

Declan laughing but returned my hug, he wasn’t meant to or at least I hadn’t planned on it. When I went to pull away a full two seconds later Declan was still hugging me and after a few awkward tugs he let go, smiling sheepishly as I pulled away completely.

“That’s okay Leah, how is work going? I hope you’re not being pushed as much as you were.” Rolling my eyes I shook my head, it was near impossible to over work myself now. Every ten minutes I was being ordered inside or to put sunscreen on, to make sure my hat was on or I had a bottle of water nearby. Now I was feeling suffocated, like I couldn’t even take a swim without someone worrying over me, it was getting old really fast.

“I’m fine Declan, but can you get everyone to lessen the worrying? I feel like I’m forever being watched, now that I know my limits I will work to that and not over it.” At this point I was willing to say anything to get people to lessen their checks on me, even Valerie had begun checking in and that was when I realized they were going over the top.