Chapter 13

The next few days at school went by in much the same manner, though I stayed well clear of Devyn and Valerie and their group of friends. Life wasn't made hard, there were no sudden attacks, and I continued to act as I might in California. At night, while at home Devyn would tutor me in math and I would tutor him in English...Valerie still tried to get in on our little study group, but after a firm refusal by Devyn, I think the message got through loud and clear.

"So, what are we doing this weekend? I figured there's no work yet and no homework...you're not grounded, and you don't know the ranch. So what do you say I show you around?" Devyn's proposal wasn't out of the blue, I had expected him to make another offer and 'to show' me new things but figured this time around it would be great.

"I think that's a very good idea Devyn, why don't you take Leah out to the pond? I'm sure she's missing the water." The suggestion came from Trisha; I had been missing the ocean. It was often the first thing I heard when waking in the morning and the last thing I heard when sleeping at night. It worried me when there was a storm and settled me when I was angry; it allowed me to make something of myself and prove to everyone that I was good at something.

Out here, without the ocean, I was a no body. Though I didn't let it show that was exactly how I felt, no one knew me for my surfing and Valerie was still attempting to make my life hell. One day of peace away from the house and near water sounded like a perfect idea, as long as Valerie didn't pop up out of the blue.

"Okay, then Devyn but just so long as I don't have to ride my horse. I'm not comfortable doing that." The thought of riding my horse terrified me, having to control a beast as big as that and having it potentially run off with me on it was enough to give me nightmares. At least on a surfboard, I could control where it went, well for a short amount of time I could.

But at least a surfboard didn't have feet and couldn't bite me or kick me in the head.

"Don't worry Leah; we can double. I'm sure the horses can carry us both, is that okay Declan? I don't want to step on anyone's toes." Devyn looked directly at Valerie when he said that, Valerie couldn't meet his eye and her cheeks went an unhealthy shade of red. The swelling and bruising around where I hit her was just starting to go down, she would probably have a scar where I broke skin but why and how she'd gotten her injuries were enough to keep her quiet.

"No, that's fine Devyn. Just make sure you guys are well prepared before heading out, I don't want anything happening to either of you while you're out learning." Declan made sure to emphasise the word 'learning.' Devyn nodded, and I shook my head, was this another subtle attempt at warning Devyn away from me?

"Okay Declan, I'll make sure. Does Valerie want to come? If it's not too much to ask we could ask a few friends down the road if they want to come along too?" At first, I wanted to hit Devyn for even suggesting Valerie come along, but with other people around she would probably be less likely to try and kill me again.

"No. Valerie is not going out to the pond at all." The hope in Valerie's eyes died at the finality in Declan's voice. I felt sorry for her but at the same time I didn't, she had no idea how to deal with consequences, and I hoped that this would help her.

Later on that night I was up in my room getting ready for bed when Valerie came waltzing in like the Queen of England, I ignored her as was the usual ritual but she sat on her bed and watched me with slitted eyes. "Devyn is mine! How many times do I have to tell you that?" She demanded quietly.

That stopped me in my tracks, and I turned on her suddenly, she flinched back a little. Something inside of me felt so satisfied at seeing her flinch and she must have realised that because her expression turned stony yet again. "How many times have I told you? I'm not interested in that country hick? He's not my type, not my kind of guy and he's not that much to look at either! So get it through that stupid head of yours already! I.don't.want.him!" I more or less screeched at her before turning back to my bed, god stupid people annoyed the crap out of me.