Chapter 29. Halloween

"I want to be a cowboy for Halloween!" Lyle said.

I knew my son well. I pulled out the costume.

Lyle saw it and screamed excitedly.

River and I found a toy gun to go with it. Halloween was never something Lyle got to do before.

River smiled at Lyle's enthusiasm.

Lyle took off with the costume to put it on.

River had a game tomorrow night, and I had another barrel race the day after. It had been chaotic, to say the least.

Trick or treating started in an hour. It was beginning to get darker outside.

We found out this week that Frazier was going to court and had been in jail. He tried it with Aly and another nurse too. They both filed against him shortly after I had, but none of us knew until after we had done it. Frazier was going to have to pay a settlement to the clinic and to all three of us. He would sit time in jail or prison, and he lost his medical license permanently.

The football team had won every game this year, so far. River was nervous about the next game. Lyle loved to watch the football games.

Lyle danced back into the kitchen. "I love it." Lyle pointed the toy gun at River and pulled the trigger. It made a bang sound.

"Ugh, you got me, partner," River grunted. He leaned over and held his stomach like he had been shot.

I chuckled.

River stumbled toward Lyle.

Lyle's eyes grew big. Lyle turned to run, but River growled and grabbed him.

River threw Lyle over his shoulder. "Come on, first stop is Aunt Helen's house."

We walked out the back door.

River put Lyle in his booster seat and slid in beside me. He grabbed my hand and pulled it to his face. He kissed the back of it as we backed out of the driveway.

A smile spread across my face as I looked up at him. "I love you," I said.

"I love you," he said. River stared back into my eyes. The look in his eyes melted my insides.

We pulled into Helen's driveway and climbed out of the truck. Helen bounced out onto the porch.

"Oh my god," Helen said and clapped when she saw Lyle. "Look at you. A handsome cowboy."

I laughed. "Cute, isn't it?"

"Very," Helen said to me. Helen looked back at Lyle. "Your momma has good taste," Helen told Lyle.

River handed Lyle to Helen.

Helen held Lyle and pecked his cheek.

Lyle showed her that he had a gun too.

"Okay, I'll take a picture and give you some candy, then you can go to town," Helen said.

Lyle beamed at her and posed next to River and me. Helen got a picture of the three of us and one of just Lyle. I grabbed the camera from Helen to take one of her and Lyle. As promised, she went into the house and grabbed Lyle some candy. I knew she bought it just to amuse him because she didn't get trick or treaters way out here. We were meeting up with Tia, Jordan, and Liz.