Chapter 8. Eavesdropping

Helen invited a few of her friends. I asked Liz and Jordan to come. Bonnie and River showed up, as well. Xavier and Lyle took off across the yard. Bonnie and River carried big presents up to the house. I smiled at them and led them inside. Everyone sat the gifts down in the dining room.

"Helen is still working on the food. She's in the kitchen," I told Bonnie.

Bonnie smiled and kissed my cheek as she passed. "Lyle sure does look like River," Bonnie murmured to me.

I smiled and nodded in agreement, "I know."

River and I turned to face Liz and Jordan. They gave us a curious look.

"Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but that boy is yours," Jordan said.

River didn't answer. He looked down at me.

I pursed my lips and shrugged. Everyone will find out. It's just a matter of time.

"He is," River confirmed.

"Told you," Jordan said to Liz.

"Are you two placing bets?" I accused.

"With Beau and David too," Liz admitted. There wasn't the slightest bit of shame in her voice.

"Wow. Really?" River asked in irritation.

Jordan laughed and shrugged. "I won," Jordan said and smirked. "I knew that kid was yours. He looks more like you than Xavier looks like me."

River chuckled.

Liz grabbed Jordan's arm and pulled him toward the door. "Let's go watch the boys," Liz suggested.

"Very subtle," I teased.

Liz gave me a devious smile then shoved Jordan out the door.

I smiled and shook my head. I looked up at River.

River stared at me. He grabbed my hand and pulled me to the living room.

We sat down on the couch together.

"How did Lyle take it?" River asked quietly. He traced the back of my hand with his thumb. It took everything I had not to scoot closer to him.

"Not bad for a four-year-old," I said. "He asked me if you were mean."

River sighed and rested his head against the back of the couch and stared at the ceiling.

"I promised him you weren't. I strongly advise that you do not raise your voice at him. He'll probably get scared and think I'm wrong," I warned him.

River nodded. "'Kay."

I groaned at the awkwardness; I hated it.

"What's wrong?" River asked. River's gaze flickered to mine.

I settled down into the couch and leaned my head against the back of it too. My hand was still in his. My skin tingled at the touch. His thumb rubbed the back of my hand as he stared at me.

"I hate how awkward things are with us now. Five years ago, we were anything but awkward with each other," I said without looking at him.

River grabbed my chin and forced me to look at him. His lips were an inch from mine. His eyes pierced mine as he spoke. "I didn't mean to act like I did yesterday. It's just when I saw you with him, I thought..." River trailed off. His gaze fell to my lips.

My heart pounded against my ribs. My gaze fell to his lips. He moved closer and hesitated. Just as I was about to close the distance, a voice came from in front of us and made us jump apart.