Chapter 6. I've Heard That Before

River didn't look at me as he walked back to the driver's side. He threw the door open and jumped into the truck.

"You're soaked," I said. I laughed as I rolled up my window.

"I hate to tell you this, but I think the motor in it is dead. Did you even take care of that car? You have almost no oil in it," he said.

My jaw dropped. "I just put oil in it yesterday!"

"Maybe you had a leak," he suggested and shrugged. "A hell of a leak," he muttered.

I sighed. "I have had to put more oil in it lately. I'm pretty sure that I had a leak. Let's just go. I'll call a damn wrecker tomorrow."

"You can use my old truck if you want. It still runs," he said. He threw the truck into reverse, threw his arm behind my seat, and looked out his back window as he backed out.

"You still have your old truck. Why?" I asked.

River turned the radio up a little.

I smiled at the song. It brought back a memory.

"No reason to get rid of it," River said. He pursed his lips and shrugged.

"No reason to keep it," I pressed.

River's blue eyes pierced mine. "A lot of good memories go with that truck. I couldn't part with it." He gave me a questioning look. "Why are you smiling like a little lunatic?"

I laughed. "The song," I admitted.

River smirked. "Good memories?"

"Yes. I haven't heard it in years," I said. "I'll see if Helen can help me get a car. I don't want to take off with your truck. By the way, if you drive like an idiot, I'll punch you," I threatened.

River rolled his eyes. "I'm not going to speed. I rarely ever do. It's dark, cold, raining, and your car wouldn't start. I was the only one in the car. I just didn't..." River trailed off and shrugged.

"Thanks for coming to get me," I told him. I felt bad for scolding him about his driving.

River ignored me.

I unbuckled my seat belt and knelt up in the seat.

"Woah. What are you doing? Sit," River growled.

I kissed his cheek.

River looked at me dumbfounded.

I sat back down and buckled my seat belt. I stared out the window. There was a long silence that filled the truck. All that could be heard was the rain and music.

Just as I was about to speak, River broke the silence. "I'll take you to get the truck, and you can drive it back to Helen's place."

"But I–" I started to argue, but he cut me off.

"It's not a big deal," he said.

"What if something goes wrong with it?" I arched a brow.

"Don't worry, if you break my truck, I'll fix it," he said and smirked.

"Fine," I said and shrugged. He's still a stubborn ass.

"Why did you work so late?" River asked quietly. "The clinic closes at five o'clock."

"I wanted to get caught up on paperwork and had things to enter into the computer. They told me I could stay to catch up."

"Four hours?" he asked.

"Well, there was a nurse before me who up and quit, so there was a lot she didn't do. I'm still figuring out how they do stuff there," I explained.