Chapter 5. Who Told You

"Come on, Dallas," River said and grimaced. He looked away and squinted like he was trying to look far into the Montana skies.

"I don't know what you mean," I breathed out in shock. It felt as if my lungs had collapsed.

River gazed up at me for a long moment. His eyes pierced mine as he came to a slow stand. Once he was in front of me, he spoke. "I'm talking about Lyle," he said. River's eyes didn't let up. His confidence hindered any excuse I could have used; he knew.

My mind went numb, almost blank. If I thought I was faster than River, I would have made a run for it. Flames licked up my veins, burning me as I stared into his eyes.

"Who told you?" My voice was barely audible.

"Well, technically, you just told me. Nobody had to tell me, Dallas. I knew it the second I laid eyes on him. It was like staring into a mirror," River said. "Unless your boyfriend in California is my long-lost identical twin." River rolled his eyes.

My breathing hitched, and my stomach churned. I couldn't deny it. I couldn't tell him why I couldn't come back sooner. No matter what I said, it looked like I was keeping his son from him. "I can explain–"

"It's okay, Dallas. I'm not upset," River said hastily.

"You're not?" I mumbled. The air escaped my lungs. How could he not be upset?

"I don't understand why you didn't at least tell me when you got home." The curiosity burned in his eyes.

"I was planning to tell you, but River, it's been years. I couldn't just say, hey, by the way, remember our one-night stand? Yeah, you kind of got me pregnant," I said sarcastically.

He chuckled humorlessly.

"I'm so sorry. I just didn't think you'd even want him," I admitted.

River looked at me with a stunned expression. "N-not want him? I mean, I wasn't exactly aiming to have a baby, but not want him? How could you possibly not want your own kid?"

"You would be surprised," I said.

River gave me a questioning look. "Okay, you got a point. I suppose not everyone does, but Dallas, you've known me your entire life. How could you think that little of me? I know I've made some awful mistakes, but this?" he asked and shook his head.

The hurt and disappointment that clouded his eyes cracked a wall I put up around my heart to keep him out of it. "I'm sorry, you're right. The truth is, I don't even know how to tell Lyle. Lyle thought that my ex was–" I stopped not being able to look at River or finish what I was saying. The emotional roller coaster I was on was becoming too much.

We stayed in awkward silence. I gave up and made a beeline for my horse. Just as I jumped up and grabbed the reigns, River grabbed my arm to stop me.

"Look, I can't change what happened. I would still like to get to know him, though. I'll help you with him. You shouldn't have to do it alone, and I want to know him," River pleaded.

"Okay, just um..." I trailed off, looking back toward the house, then down at River. "Just get around him, come see him, talk to him, but I don't want to just drop the truth on him," I said sternly.

"I won't tell him right away, but I'd like to eventually. Maybe I can fix one thing, right?" River asked. He stared into my eyes and bit down on his lip. He slowly backed away from me. "See ya."

"See ya," I said sadly. Bullet turned around and immediately took off back toward home. The wind whipped through my hair as fast as my mind raced. River and I had a thicker history than I would like to admit. What idiot sleeps with their best friend? This idiot right here.