Chapter 7. More Coffee?

"Did you two sleep well?"

I stirred in confusion and opened my eyes. I blinked several times.

Bonnie stood at the foot of the bed.

My gaze fell on River, who was squinting up at his mom.

"How about some breakfast?" Bonnie asked. Bonnie giggled at us as we groaned.

River threw the blanket over us. "No, thanks," River said and buried his head into the crook of my neck.

"Come on; breakfast is made," Bonnie said. Bonnie's footsteps descended from the room.

River inhaled deeply and wrapped an arm around me.

"I should get home, River. Lyle is probably wondering where I am," I told him.

River groaned. "Nah. I vote we go back to sleep."

"I've got to go to work," I said and yawned. It was Friday, something dawned on me, and I groaned again.

"What?" River asked. His voice still thick with sleep.

"Nothing. Do you want to come over on Saturday? We're doing a small birthday party for Lyle," I said. I had forgotten that it was his birthday. I would have to grab presents for him after work.

"It's his birthday tomorrow?" River asked.

"Actually, it's today, but he knows we're celebrating it tomorrow instead. He's starting daycare next week until school starts up, then he'll be in four-k," I explained.

"Hmm, four?" River asked.

"Yeah," I yawned.

"I'll be there," he said.

We both sat up.

Bonnie came in again with my clothes. They were washed and dried. I thanked her and went into the bathroom to change my clothes.

River was dressed in jeans and a plain black t-shirt. He held up a pair of keys. He dropped them in my hand. "The truck is out front," he said. "I'll see you later. I got a mess to clean up."

"River," I started.

River stopped and looked at me.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked. I knew I didn't have to say it out loud.

River's gaze dropped to the floor, and he shook his head. "Talking about it doesn't change anything," he muttered.

"How do you know? Have you tried?" I challenged.

"It won't change anything, Dallas," he snapped. "It's not every night," he paused. "Just most."

"I've never seen anyone have nightmares that bad," I murmured. "Not even me." River had woken me the night before because he was having a nightmare. He writhed around on the bed like he was being physically tortured. His screams were horrible. After what I had witnessed, I realized just how bad the accident messed him up.

"I'll be fine. Like I told you, I deserve to live with what I did. It should have been me that died. Landon is gone because of what I did," he said tiredly. "There's nothing else to say."

I grabbed his arm and forced him to look at me. "There is everything to say." My voice was thick with desperation and emotion. "Nobody deserved to die. Things happen for a reason. Landon shouldn't have been taunting you."

"Seriously?" River challenged. He rolled his eyes and pulled away from my grasp. "I could have ignored him. I was responsible for the safety of everyone in that car. I–" he stopped. River rubbed the back of his neck and his forehead creased. "I fucked up, and I know it. The nightmares remind me that I'm still alive. I'm lucky to be alive, and I don't take things for granted the way I used to. It's okay."