Jack of All Trades (Edited)

A welder named Jack drives home at night, and accidentally runs over another Jack, a plumber. The Skill of Plumbing immediately downloads into his brain, together with a notification: "WELCOME TO THE GAME, JACK. KILL OR BE KILLED, THE CHOICE IS YOURS. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE JACK OF ALL TRADES."

"Everyone gather around I have a very special story to tell you today. It is the story about the one and only Jack of All Trades." I say as I look around at all the people making their way towards me. They wheel towards me and others take slow shaky steps with their walkers.

"Alright everyone this is the story of the Jack of All Building Trades. There once was a guy who had just graduated school and got a job as a welder. The guy was named Jack. Jack was on his way home early one morning after his party to celebrate his graduation.

All of the sudden Jack sees a person jump out in front of his truck. Jack watches as he hits him because there was no way Jack could stop. Jack pulls over and runs over to the guy who is not moving. Jack tries to get the guys attention but watches as the guy seems to dissolve into pixels until he disappears completely.

Jack stares at the spot where the guy once laid before running back to the truck. As you can imagine Jack was very shaken up. Jack gets under control when suddenly Jack hears a voice in his head. "The skill of plumbing has successfully downloaded. Welcome to the game, Jack. Kill or be Killed, the choice is yours. There can be only one Jack of All Building Trades."

Jack jumps at the sudden voice and stares off in confusion. What? How did he get into a game he didn't want to play? How does he stop playing the game? Kill or be Killed! Jack decided to head home chocking the whole experience up to a drunk delusion. Jack gets home and doesn't think about it again for the next couple months. Jack does suddenly know plumbing, has the certifications he needs, and is surprisingly good at it.

Jack doesn't even remember the incident until six months later. Jack was heading home from work and all the sudden a car comes speeding towards him. Jack manages to swerve and avoid the car that crashes into the concrete wall. Jack stops the car and stares at the car behind him with his heart racing a thousand miles an hour.

He notices that the pixels appear again and watches as the car and person disappear. He sits there staring at the spot not believing what he just saw. He suddenly remembers what happened the night of his graduation party. "The skill of heavy equipment operator has successfully downloaded. You have completed three out of the ten building trades."

Jack ended up going home in a daze that night, but little did he know that these occurrences would become more frequent. He would become the Jack of All Building Trades just by dumb luck.

The next two incidents happened a week later. Jack was walking to his next house, which was a couple buildings down from his office. He noticed a lot of shouting come from down an alley. When he looks down the alley he sees two people fighting. He freezes in shock as he watches one of the people pull out a knife and stab the other. The person who got stabbed freezes then grabs the knife and stabs the other person back. Both were fatally wounded as Jack stands there not knowing what to do. One starts to fade as the other tries to run. The one that was still in the alley starts to turn into pixels before disappearing. Jack can't see the other one person anymore.

Jack tries to continue to make his way to his next job knowing they were just a part of this horrible game. Suddenly the voice says, "The skill of carpenter and contractor has successfully downloaded. You have completed five out of ten building trades." Within ten minutes the voice says again, " The skill of electrician has successfully downloaded. You have completed six out of ten building trades."

The next two happened in a similar fashion. Jack was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or would it be the right place at the right time? Before Jack knew it, the voice said, "The skill of painter and landscaper has successfully downloaded. You have completed eight out of ten building trades." That was the day Jack was working at the hospital. Every skill that was successfully downloaded Jack discovered that he was surprisingly good at said skill. At this point in time word had gotten out that Jack could do almost everything.

The ninth skill was the one that Jack actually had a conflict with. Jack was again walking to a business that was close by. When Jack arrived at the business no one was there. The door was unlocked and the lights were off besides one that was flickering right above the help desk. Jack wasn't sure what he was called here for so he called out for anyone to respond. Jack was suspecting that it was the flickering light that they wanted him to fix.

A guy came out of a back room saying, "Oh! You are here. I heard you were the person to call. I need you to fix this flickering light." Jack got to work only to have the ladder knocked out from under him. Jack got into a tussle with the guy. The guy got a mysterious injury that to this day Jack still doesn't know what happened. At this point the violence didn't faze Jack anymore. He got back to work on the light and left the store. "The skill of insulation installer has successfully been downloaded. You have completed nine out of ten building trades."

Jack later found himself back at the hospital. Jack had come to discover he twisted his ankle. Jack tried to just leave it be but it got purple and swelled like a balloon. Jack had to wear a walking boot to help stabilize the sprain. As Jack was walking out of the hospital a guy ran up to him and asked, "Are you the Jack of all Trades?" Jack sighed and responded with, "Sure." The guy then proceeded to run around the building where a gun shot eventually rang from.

"The skill of carpet installer has successfully downloaded. You have completed ten out of ten building trades. You are now the Jack of All Building Trades. Welcome to the United Stated Game. You must now defend your title to become Jack of All Building Trades in the U.S. Kill or be Killed."

Jack sighed and accepted his fate, he never even tried but somehow got this for. He will just continue with what he was doing. Jack hasn't harmed another person himself and he would continue to keep it that way.

The story goes Jack became the Jack of all trades for the U.S. all the way to the Universal Jack of All Building Trades all without harming a soul. Jack still defends his title to this day helping everyone he can with his skills.

Did everyone enjoy the story?" I look out upon the crowd that seems to have doubled and they all nod their head. One shouts out, "That wasn't true." I respond, "Of course it was true, but I am afraid I have to get back to work. I hear there is a list. After all I am the Jack of All Building Trades."

A/N:

I got this prompt from the Impromptu app. Please vote, comment, follow and enjoy! 

Thanks, 
Marie