Unexpected Beginnings (Edited)

A woman who is deeply in love is crushed when her fiancé breaks up with her.

I am lying on my fluffy queen-sized bed, with my blankets wrapped around me. My face is buried in my pillow hoping that somehow it will comfort me and tell me everything will be alright. My world just got flipped upside down and then shaken which leaves my bed as my only comfort. It has been here for me for the past three days but I know I have to get up eventually. I have to go to work next week but until then I am not planning on getting out of this bed. Taking comfort in the warmth it is offering me and my tear stained face. I doze off into my other safe place that is sleep. I wake up just as I hear my front door open and shut.

Kayla pleads with me as she sits down on the edge of my bed, "Arianna, honey, you need to tell me what happened."

"Mhmmwammmhmhmamhhhm" I respond not really wanting to explain why I am single. Deep down I know I will have to because she will not drop the topic until I explain it to her.

Kayla looks at me with sympathy in her eyes as she pleads with me talk to her. "Honey, I can't understand what you're saying when you are talking into the pillow. You need to tell me why you are not engaged anymore."

I look up at my best friend since elementary school and start to tell her about how my fiancé... well ex-fiancé cheated on me with not one, not two but five different girls. This happened all at once also leaving me wondering how I never figured it out. The bad part is that it seemed like he was always home and I was home a lot. Probably not as much as I should have been now that I think about it, but I was trying to get extra money so we could have it for the wedding. I can't figure out how he still found time to have five other relationships and have them be somewhat successful.

We had been engaged for almost a year with us being together for three before that. The wedding was a month away and all the sudden my dirty blond hair wasn't blond enough. My brown eyes weren't bright or interesting enough for him. What does that even mean? Apparently, there was someone better, someone blonder, and someone younger. I am 23 and he needed someone younger?! I don't understand that nor will I try to.

"Arianna, honey, think of it this way. If this had not happened now it probably would have happened later. Would you have wanted this to happen if you were pregnant?" Kayla says as she looks over my terrible state.

"Umm..." I look at her with regret before hiding into the pillow again.

She jumps about a foot and has her crazy face on full display and I already know I am going to get lectured. "No! Arianna you would not have wanted that the happen! So be glad that this happened now. This situation could have been much worse."

"Kayla" I say hoping that I will get her attention.

"OMG he could have left you on your wedding day that would have been horrendous. Personally I..."

"Kayla," I whisper interrupting her because I really don't want to hear the rest of her thoughts that she is rambling on about.

"...Didn't like him that much he always was checking out other girls. I just thought that it was because he was trying to get his last looks before he wasn't able to look at other women because he would again. Not that that is a bad thing you would be a wonderful person to be stuck with for the rest of someone's life."

I stare at Kayla as she sits there rambling away about who knows what. Before I end up snapping and yell "KAYLA!" making her jump a little bit from my sudden interruption.

"Kayla I am pregnant with his baby and he doesn't know. It was supposed to be a surprise for our wedding Of course that was only if I wasn't showing yet, which I wouldn't have been." I inform her of this while looking down at my lap as I sit crisscross so that I am more comfortable. I can already tell she wasn't done with her rambling though. I just hope I don't have to repeat what I just said another five or six times before she finally gets what I am telling her.

"Honestly honey it is so much better that you found this out now I swear he was just not the one. I am just so glad you... wait what?!" Kayla tells me as she finally registers the words that I just said.

"Kayla I am pregnant," I look at her with surprise that she realized what I said that fast but then again it is pretty hard to ignore what I said.

Kayla looks at me with panic written all over her face as she responds, "He doesn't know?"

"Nope" I lay myself back down and curl back up into my blankets.

"Well shit" and for the first time ever Kayla is quiet and does not ramble or lecture me. 

AN-

I got this prompt from the write practice. For any writer at any level this is a really cool website and I encourage you to check it out. Any way that is it... So I hope you enjoyed. Please let me know any comments, concerns, and ideas that you have. Please comment and vote! Thanks for reading! 

https://thewritepractice.com/short-story-ideas/ 

Marie