Sisters (Edited)

Sisters. While most sisters are loving and caring, that usually only happens about two percent of the time. Especially when interacting with each other. Sisters though always have your back when you need it. This isn't really going to be a bad sister or a good sister story. This is going to be more of a story of how they fight (like sisters always do) and then how they make up.

My little sister always wants me to play with her. So, I have all my favorite Polly-Pocket toys from over the years saved in two shoe boxes. My sister and I don't have a normal relationship because she is special needs. This has forever shaped who I am, but sometimes it is hard, and this was one of those times. My sister was ten and I was thirteen and yes, I was playing Polly-Pockets with my sister. Sometimes I really didn't want to but she would beg and well let's be honest no one can tell her no.

I came home from school and she begged me to play with her. I finally gave in and went down-stairs to our unfinished basement. I look around and see my mom working at her desk against one side of the rectangular basement. I then look over at the big blue mat we have down on the concrete floor. With all of my sisters' toys sprawled on the blue play mat. I walk over and turn on the light bulb above our heads with the string hanging from the bulb. I look down and see my boxes are open and my toys were all over the mat. I look at my sister and she does a shoulder shrug and does a 'I'm sorry I couldn't help it face.' I demanded to know how she even got my toys because they were in my room and she is not allowed in my room when I am not home.

"I asked mom, and she said that I could go into your room," she responds to me.

I stare at my mom wondering how she could do that to me. She knows how upset I get when my sister goes into my room and takes things. I quickly start to get all my stuff together and put them back into the shoe boxes. I have already decided that I am not going to play with her when she does stuff like this.

I discover that my favorite and only Polly-Pocket girl was missing. I start demanding to know where she was. My sister hangs her head and scoots over to the castle that we had. She pulls out a head, then a leg, an arm, and eventually the body. She then grabs the clothes that were on her and cautiously opens her hand for me to see. I look at her hand and discover it is in fact my favorite Polly-Pocket toy. The last part of my childhood that I have kept and the only one I have ever wanted to play with. I burst into tears morning the loss of my childhood toy.

I turn on my sister and start yelling at her. "Why did you do this? You know you are not allowed in my room, you are not allowed to play with my toys, and YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BRAKE THEM." My dad walks over as my sister starts apologizing over and over again. I try to tell him that she broke my toy but he doesn't get what the big deal is, and thinks I am in the wrong.

I grab the last couple pieces of my remaining toys and grab my favorite Polly-Pockets' body. I walk over to the trash can and throw her away. I grab the head and put it in the box because at the time they were designed so you could pop off the head and not have to change the clothes on the body. Instead you could change the head of the Polly- Pockets. I look at my sister in disgust because this is the third time this month she has taken my toys to play with them. I even hid them in different places in my room every time. This is the first time though that she has broken one of my toys.

I look her in the eyes and say, "I am never going to play with you again."

I then get yelled at by my dad again because he still thinks I am in the wrong. He doesn't understand that I just lost a huge part of my childhood. I grab my box and start making my way over to the bottom of the stairs. Ignoring her as she begs for my forgiveness and apologizing that she broke Elena. Which was the name that I always used for that Polly-Pocket. I hear my parents tell her to stay downstairs to give me some time to cool down. I look back and see her crying as she watches me get to the bottom of the stairs. I ignore her and walk up the stairs and go to my room where I start to cry all over again.

I try to do nice things for her yet I can't seem to do them the way I mean to. Something like this always happens. I know she doesn't mean to do it, but she always does something similar. Let's face it I am a little old to still be playing with toys, seeing as I am a seventh grader in middle school. It is always hard to let go of your childhood toy, and I still have a lot more of them left then what is normal for my age. Of course, I have gotten rid of a lot of the toys over the years. The toys I have left are the ones that I just can't bring myself to get rid of.

Eventually I cooled down, and I wasn't as mad at her. I didn't play with for three weeks though after the incident. On the fourth week I learned that my sister was going to be have brain surgery within the next couple of weeks. Life swept us away as we got ready for my sister to go up to the Children's Hospital that was three hours away. My mom and my sister left three days before my dad and I would be joining them. I needed to finish the school week, because I would be missing two weeks of school so I could be there to help with whatever was needed.

My dad and I got up there late the night before the surgery. This was because we had to wait for him to get off from work before we could head up to the hospital. My mom had taken my sister on a big shopping trip to Toys R Us and a couple other places. So, my sister wouldn't stress about the surgery and because she really wanted to go shopping. When my dad and I walked into the hotel room, on the couch was a lot of bags from Toys R Us. I was guessing that we were supposed to take those home when we left.

I walked over to the bed I was going to sleep in and on it I saw a stuffed Siberian Husky. A Siberian Husky has been my dream dog for as long as I could remember and my sister got me a stuffed one. Next to the Husky though was what really tore me apart. It was a brand-new Polly-Pocket girl with a couple outfits. My sister left a note on the hotel notepad.

The note said "Dear Carly, I am very sorry I broke Elena. I got you a new Elena. Will you play with me again? I hope you like her. I love you."

Let me tell you I bawled like a baby when I read that. She had so many other things going on in her life and yet all that she was worried about was making amends with her sister. It was not something she had to do. Especially when the shopping trip was for her because of the surgery she was having. I called her that night and told her that I would play with her when she got home.

Leave it up to my sister to want to make sure that we were okay instead of worrying about all the other major things going on in her life in that moment. Here I was still holding a grudge all because I didn't have my childhood toy anymore. Sister fight all the time but the most important part is how no matter what they always have your back and look out for you. Even if it is over something truly stupid like a toy that could be replaced and was. 

A/N:

No prompt again. Please comment, vote, and enjoy. Unedited.

Marie