29. Mommy Dearest

Finishing my third cigarette in a row, I stubbed it out in the overflowing ashtray. I wiped my palms against the material of my jeans and slid off of the bar stool.

"Want another beer?" offered EZ, setting down two Millers in front of Riz and Hank.

"No, I'm fine..." I replied dismissively, glancing at the clock up above the bar. "They should be here by now."

The front door was pushed open, revealing a grinning Chucky. "They're here."

He stepped aside, allowing Logan to enter. He set down Jackie and the giggling toddler ran over to me, chanting 'mommy' like a mantra.

I smiled and crouched down, picking her up. I straightened out with a grimace, a strong throb resonating from within my ribcage.

"Mommy missed you so much." I told her, repeatedly kissing her blond hair.

Jackie put her arms around my neck and kissed my cheek. She looked around the clubhouse, her eyes taking in all of the new faces.

Bishop stepped up, a slight smile on his face. "Hey, kiddo. You want some ice cream?"

"Yes!"

Bishop chuckled and reached for her. I passed my daughter into his arms. He smiled and carried Jackie to the kitchen, asking whether she'd prefer mint chocolate chip or strawberry ice cream.

I turned to Logan, who was staring at my face. "Thank you so much for bringing her here. I didn't want to inconvenience you."

"It's fine," he spoke slowly. "Thanks for paying for my flight back to Stockton."

"Don't worry about it. You want something to eat or drink?"

"No. Theo, I am so sorry-"

"Forget it." I interrupted, the words coming our harsher than I intended them to be. Taking a breath, I added, "I'm sorry, it's just something I really don't want to talk about right now."

"You got it." he agreed, giving me a brief, forced smile. Glancing around the clubhouse, his eyes landed on Angel. "I remember you. The guy hitting on my girl by the kitchen sink."

Angel grinned. "That's me."

Logan cracked a smile, glancing at me. "I guess now I know why you chose to come to Santo Padre, out of all places." he joked.

His comment pulled a chuckle from some of the guys. I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Logan, don't you have a plane to catch or something?" I asked sweetly.

He chuckled, nodding. "Yeah, you wouldn't want me to miss my flight."

"Never."

We exchanged our goodbyes and Logan departed for the airport in an Uber I had ordered him. I put Jackie's bag in the corner, beside my suitcase. Bishop and Jackie walked out of the kitchen hand in hand, holding their ice cream cones. He picked her up and set her down at the table, pushing her chair in.

I looked at the President, giving him a grateful smile. "Thank you, Bishop."

He returned my smile, squeezing my shoulder.  I leaned my back against the counter, feeling a surge of relief Jackie was with me again.

Being without her for a whole week was hard, but it made me happy to know she had a good time with Logan. The only hard cloud hovering over my happiness was Billy, and the uncertainty of what would have happened with Jackie if Coco hadn't gotten to my motel room in time.

Angel came to stand beside me, setting his empty beer bottle on the counter.

"She's cute." he said, motioning to Jackie. The toddler in question finished her dessert, her face covered in strawberry ice cream. Bishop reached over and began wiping her face clean. Jackie turned her head away.