16. Risky Business

I expected to spend my first free day after completing my final exams in bed with Logan, relaxing and staying under the covers until well past noon.

Instead, I was roused out of bed early by a frantic phone call from Gemma. She mentioned something about Tara getting a death threat and instructed me and Logan to get to the compound at once.

Althought Logan was unhappy about the arrangement, we did as Gemma requested—mostly to get her off our back.

Stepping out of the Teller-Morrow office, I watched several vehicles and bikes pull into the compound.

"They're here." I announced.

Gemma and Tara followed me out of the office, the doctor holding her medical bag. I trailed after the women, who headed straight for the clubhouse.

"Where's Jax?" asked Tara as we passed Clay.

"Went after the shooter." he answered. We stopped walking and looked at him.

"What shooter?" questioned Gemma.

Her inquiry went unanswered, as Bishop and Taza got out of a blue pick-up truck and helped an injured Alvarez get out.

"Jesus," muttered Tara. "Get him into the clubhouse."

The Mayans did as instructed and it wasn't long before we had Alvarez laying down on the redwood table in the chapel, the left side of his chest exposed as Tara assessed the damage done to his shoulder.

Taza and Bishop guarded the doors of the chapel, watching the doctor closely. Chibs has scrubbed in on the surgery, putting on a pair of latex gloves and standing by to assist as needed.

I timidly approached the open chapel doors, leaning my shoulder against the doorframe.

"Anyone need anything?" I offered, wishing to feel useful. The two Mayans shook their heads, their eyes on their president.

"You got a joint, lass?" inquired Chibs, looking at me.

"Mhm. Lemme get it." I walked over to the bar, which turned into a makeshift gallery from which SAMCRO watched the surgery.

Grabbing my purse from the counter, I browsed through it for my pack of cigarettes. Opening it, I pulled out my second to last joint.

Tossing the bag onto the counter, I walked into the chapel. I passed the joint to Chibs, who swiftly lit it and handed it to Alvarez--but not before taking a drag, himself.

"Here, man, that'll help."

Marcus thanked him, taking a drag of the blunt. His breath was coming in fast and heavy, and his hand was shaking.

He was afraid. Afraid he was going to die.

"Hey, you'll be okay." I assured, hoping to ease his fears.

Marcus exhaled sharply. "You know the first thing about medicine, Theo?"

"I sure know a lot about emergency room treatments of gunshot wounds."

"Oh yeah? How's that?"

"Grey's Anatomy." I said proudly.

The Mayan president mustered a small, forced smile.

"My wife watches that shit."

The remark made me chuckle and earned a smile from Bishop and Taza. The doctor switched places with the Scot, instructing him to keep pressure on the wound. She looked through her bag, no doubt looking for a local anesthetic.

I faintly hear Ope and Bobby announce they are leaving to look for Lyla and bring her to the compound for the lockdown. Clay and Tig walked into the chapel. They were soon followed in by Juice, who headed to the armored safe.