9. Ruins

Nothing could have prepared me for finding out everything I had missed during my week away. Some of those highlights were as follows:

Chibs being critically injured by a car bomb, the majority of SAMCRO being arrested on federal gun charges, and Marcus declaring the truce between the Sons and Mayans no longer valid.

What did Esai die for?

"I can't believe this. I leave Charming for seven days and shit hits the fan." I spoke, running my hands through my hair.

"Never mind that." spoke mom, dismissing my comment.

"Chibs and Juice are at the hospital and everything's upside down. Why are we even having a dinner?" I asked her, placing a bowl of corn on the table.

"To celebrate your return."

"You're making it seem like I've been gone for years."

"Oh please. You would never be able to stay away from Charming for that long."

"I'd love for you to see me try..." I mumbled under my breath, watching an annoyed Tara march into the house through the unlocked kitchen door.

"Thought you were bringing a salad?" mom asked her, disappointment present in her voice.

"I've been busy." she told her, shoving a piece of paper in her direction. "This is a hostile work environment claim filed against me and my 'proxy' by Margaret Murphy."

"Are you kidding me? What a bunch of pussies."

I snorted, quickly clamming a hand over my mouth. I did my best to tune out the rest of their argument, placing a casserole in the middle of the long table.

"This is my livelihood!" Tara raised her voice, clearly exasperated. "Do you have any idea how hard I've worked to get to where I am?"

I glanced at the doctor, her words mirroring mine from over a month ago. I completely understood Tara's irritation. Mom could've ruined her career.

"Hey." spoke up Lyla, alerting the two women to her presence.

"Perfect. Serving hand jobs for dessert?" the surgeon asked sarcastically.

"Tara." I scolded, looking at the woman in disbelief. Just because she has a high-tier job doesn't mean she can belittle others for doing whatever it takes to make ends meet.

"That's real nice in front of the kids." answered Lyla, on the verge of tears. The porn star stormed out of the house, her gray cardigan flapping behind her like a cape.

"Jesus Christ..." I muttered, sighing. Leaning against the sink, I looked across at the dining room table which stood abundant with food. The last family dinner we had crept into my mind, its vines tangling around my heart and holding it with a painful grip.

The last time I saw Esai alive.

Feeling tears prick my eyes, I angrily marched over to the liquor cabinet. Taking out a bottle of vodka, I set it down on the counter, fetching a box of cranberry juice from the fridge. I fixed myself a drink, pouring the two liquids into a mug. The ratio of juice to vodka was unequal, with alcohol dominating the cocktail by a landslide. 

I put the ingredients away and picked up the mug, taking a big gulp of the drink.

Damn clubs with their beefs, retaliations, and bullshit truces. 

It wasn't long before Jax, Bobby, and Opie arrrived at the scene. They were followed by a timid Lyla, who decided to stay for dinner after all. I had already finished my cocktail and proceeded to quickly make another one. The tension in the house was already high and no one in the kitchen even saw me pour an abnormally large amount of vodka into the mug.