20. Muerte a las Diosas

Nearly a week had passed since Jax was released. The club was working hard to find Tara's killer, but Jax's silence about the subject gave me the impression there was nothing to report. My brother was not going to rest until the man who murdered his wife was caught.

Abel started preschool today, which freed up all his caretaker's schedules. Happy to have some time to myself, I headed over to Diosa Norte for a much deserved massage.

Kiki led me into one of the back rooms of the establishment, telling me to get comfortable and that someone would be with me shortly. I nodded my head in reply, setting my bag down on the hardwood floor, leaning it against the brick wall.

The escort vacated the room. I closed the door behind her and proceeded to undress. My clothes set aside in a neat pile, I picked up one of the numerous white towels and wrapped it around my bare body.

The door opened, revealing Jenny—a pretty redhead who was a single mother to twin girls.

"Hey, Teddy." she greeted me with a smile, closing and locking the door behind her.

I smiled back, already feeling the tension in my shoulders begin to dissolve.

__________

The sixty minute massage did wonders for my tired bones and tight muscles, making me more relaxed than I've been in weeks. The last time I felt so relaxed was in New York, far away from the club and the trouble it always brought with it.

Jenny excused herself from the room, leaving me alone to dress. Sitting up on the table, I stretched my arms above my head.

"Mmm... I should make this a regular thing. My body would be thankful." I said to myself, carefully getting off the table. Putting the towel in the hamper, I began dressing myself.

My movements were slow and relaxed, my mind at ease with the thoughts of my warm and comfortable bed. Stifling a yawn, I picked up my phone and checked my notifications.

Several missed calls from Jax and Nero? 

My phone buzzed in my hand as Nero's name flashed across my screen. Swiping right on the call, I brought the phone to my ear.

A deafening roar of automatic gunfire filled my ears, making me drop the phone. Ducking behind the table, I threw myself at the ground.

The shots vibrated throughout the building, sending my heart into overdrive. Placing my hand over the vertical open heart surgery scar, I worked hard to control my breathing. 

My phone was between the table and the door. If I made a dash for it and the shooter opened the door, I would be dead.

Heart racing, I crawled towards my bag and reached inside. My trembling fingers wrapped around the barrel of my 9mm and I pulled it out.

Sitting up, I pressed my back against the wall and ejected the magazine, checking how many rounds I had.

Nineteen. Full clip.

I slipped the magazine back inside and reloaded the gun.

The rapid gunfire ceased at several different intervals, alerting me there were at least three shooters. Three? Four? Five? Doesn't matter how many. I'm dead once they find me.

All I can do is hide behind the table and hold on for as long as I can. Nero heard the shots over the phone, with me never disconnecting the call.

But Nero doesn't know where I am.

My heart sank.

Heavy footsteps approached the door, making me release a quiet whimper. Gripping the gun in my right hand, I quietly crept alongside the length of the table, coming closer to the door. I remained out of sight, hiding behind the edge of the table, my gun pointed down at the ground.