4. The Hit

Turning the last page of Don Quixote, I rubbed at my tired eyes with the back of my hand. Squinting at the small print, I scooted to the other edge of the leather couch, angling my book towards the lit lamp shining above. Satisfied with the level of light, I resumed reading the novel.

The clubhouse door was abruptly opened, letting in a stream of conversation and alerting me to the commotion outside.

"Get him into the chapel." instructed Clay, marching into the clubhouse. He was followed by Opie and Tig, who were pushing a gurney. Chibs and Juice jogged alongside it, assisting to an injured man I did not recognize. Mom brought up the rear of the procession, closing the door behind her.

"Get these doors opened, lass." requested Chibs. I tossed my book aside and got off the couch, rushing to the chapel. I opened the double doors, watching as Opie and Tig wheeled the gurney inside. 

"Why do we have a gurney?" I asked.

"Prospect stole an ambulance." explained mom. Of course he did.

"We need to cover the table." said Opie, glancing at the blood pooling beneath the stranger.

"Bed sheets?" I offered timidly, staring at the unconscious man.

"No, it'll bleed through. There's sheets 'o plastic in the garage." spoke Chibs, pressing gauze against the man's thigh.

"I got it." I quickly offered, rushing out of the clubhouse. I ran across the empty lot and into the open office. Walking through the second door, I found myself in the garage. I flipped on the light and crouched down in front of a tool cabinet, ripping open the bottom drawer. My hands shaking, I grabbed a folded plastic sheet. Not bothering to shut the drawer or turn off the light, I ran back to the clubhouse.

Entering the chapel, I unfolded the sheet of plastic. Mom grabbed the other end of the sheet and we draped it over the table, covering the engraved reaper. 

"What happened?" I asked, watching as Chibs and Juice moved the injured man from the gurney to the makeshift operating table.

"Mayan attack." spoke Opie, pushing the gurney out of the chapel. My eyes widened and I reached over to grip the doorframe. I slowly exhaled.

"Is Jax okay? Where is he?"

"Went to pick up medical supplies from Tara." answered mom.

"Looks like we might need the doctor herself..." I mumbled, watching as Juice handed Chibs more gauze.

"Gettin' these slugs out is impossible without proper instruments." voiced Chibs. He sat down on the edge of the table, continuing to put pressure on the wound.

"I could help. I have small hands." I offered, holding up my palms. The Scot glanced at my hands and exchanged a look with Juice.

"Can you handle the blood, lassie?" he asked, wiping the sweat off his brow with his forearm.

"What a silly question to ask a girl." 

"Right," he huffed. "Juicy boy, pass 'er some gloves, will ya?"

Juice grabbed a fresh pair of packages gloves. I took off my rings and deposited them in the back pocket of my cargo pants. Taking the package from Juice, I ripped it on and slipped on the gloves.

Clay appeared in the doorway, looking at Tig.

"Make those phone calls. When that's handled, I need you and Ope to get the guns ready." 

"You got it, boss." confirmed Tig, exiting the chapel. Mom walked over to Clay.

"What do we do?" she asked him, taking his hands in hers.