25. Black Eye

I stretched across the king-sized bed, sliding among the silk sheets. A strong arm wrapped around my torso, pulling me closer to my goal. Snuggling against his warm side, I opened my eyes to look at my boyfriend. He was already looking at me, a smirk on his face.

"Good morning, gorgeous..." he murmured, leaning down to give me a kiss.

I hummed against his lips. "Hey, Billy..."

He gave my tattooed thigh a squeeze before getting out of bed. I watched as he slipped on a pair of boxers and left the room. Minutes later I heard the water turn on.

I climbed out of bed and picked up my silk robe, slipping it on. Padding across the hardwood floor, I looked out the floor to ceiling window that looked out over downtown Los Angeles.

I made the hard choice of moving to LA with Jackie about six months ago—when I got together with Billy. The condo we were living in was his, and the crimson Tesla S I drove was paid for with his money.

My most valid reason for moving was my job. The law firm I worked for was in the heart of Los Angeles, and the daily commute from Norco was becoming tedious. 

Once I got ready for the day I went to Jackie's room. My heels dug into the soft rug as I took a seat on the edge of her bed. Reaching down, I gently moved her blond hair out of her face.

"Good morning, baby..." I cooed to my three year old toddler.

Jackie shifted, hugging her stuffed dinosaur to her chest. She opened her eyes.

"Hi, mommy..." she yawned.

I smiled. "Hey. Ready to get up?"

She slowly nodded her head, sitting up. I helped her dress and took her to the kitchen. Billy was already sitting at the granite kitchen island, drinking coffee. Picking up Jackie, I sat her down at the island.

"Watch her, babe? Make sure she doesn't fall." I stressed. 

"Mhm..." he hummed, setting down his mug.

I cooked us breakfast, humming to myself. As I was about to set the plates down on the island countertop, Billy got up with a jolt.

"Gotta go, I'll be late to work." he quickly finished his coffee and buttoned his blazer.

"Oh, okay. The sitter is picking up Jackie from daycare today. I'm afraid it'll be late one for me." Again.

"Yeah, that's fine." he said dismissively. 

I watched him rush out the door, grabbing his briefcase on the way. Shaking my head with a sigh, I set the plates down.

"Eat up, sweetie. Let me get you some juice..."

After I dropped off Jackie at daycare I drove to work, battling through the rush hour traffic.

__________

I came home earlier than I thought I would. The sun was just beginning to set as I parked my car in the underground lot, getting on the elevator. Less than a minute later I was standing outside the penthouse apartment.

Turning my key, I unlocked the door and pushed it open. I stepped inside and closed the door behind me, making sure to lock it. The lights were dimmed and there was a half-empty bottle of wine on the glass coffee table, flanked by two empty wine glasses. 

My throat tightened at the sight.

Straining my ears, I listened for any sounds. My left ear was ringing faintly, as it never fully recovered from the damage it sustained from the Triad's misfired gun.