12. Joyride

I listened to the steady beeping of the heart monitor as it lulled me into a false sense of security. I tried hard not to think of what will transpire within the next several hours, but the task proved impossible.

With the club going to Ireland and mom being transferred to county, I would be left with Tara, Imani, and Chucky to look after me.

Sensing my worrisome thoughts, mom placed her hand over mine.

"Don't worry, mom. That deal you made with Stahl is solid." I told her, wishing to ease her nerves.

"I can't let them go to Ireland without me." she protested. "I'm going to find my grandson."

"That'll prove difficult, considering they're carting you off to the joint in a matter of hours."

"If I want to get out of here, I'll need Tara's help."

I scoffed. "Oh, please. That-"

"I know you're angry with her."

"She did nothing to prevent me and Abel from being taken. When Cameron was about to slit my throat, she simply sat there and watched. Of course I'm angry. I would've gave my life for Abel. Tara? She wasn't even willing to defend him."

"I feel your anger, baby." she said soothingly. "I talked with Tara. Made the point of telling her that if it was her own flesh and blood, she wouldn't have hesitated to jump in front of a bullet. She called me cruel."

"And I'm calling you right."

She turned her hand over, squeezing mine.

"Go get Tara, baby. It's time for me to get out of here."

__________

Staring at the fast-moving arms of the clock, I cursed under my breath.

"Hurry up, mom..." I mumbled, limping across the corridor. I sat down in one of the chairs, outstretching my injured leg.

Reaching down, I loosened my knee brace just a fraction more so I could move about faster. I left my crutches in mom's hospital room, knowing they would slow me down.

The door to one of the rooms opened, revealing mom, dressed in a doctor's coat, and a determined Tara.

"About time." I voiced, placing my hands on the armrests. I pushed myself off of the chair and straightened out—with some difficulty.

"You shouldn't be walking without your crutches." said Tara, momentarily switching to doctor-mode.

"Nevermind that." I dismissed, following the women down the corridor. I offered to take mom's duffel bag from her, but she immediately refused.

Tara took her phone out of her pocket, dialing a number.

"You calling Jax?" mom asked her.

"Nope, you are." Tara handed her the phone.

"It's mom. You at the hospital?" she spoke into the phone. "Just listen. Meet me outside the service entrance. I'll be there in a few minutes."

She hung up, passing the phone back to Tara.

We soon reached the elevator. I reached down and repeatedly pressed the button. Sighing, Tara took out her key card and scanned it. I pressed the button again—but only once this time.

As we waited for the elevator, Tara informed mom about her medication, stressing she should fill a prescription if she runs out.

"Elevator takes you to the service level. Key card will get you out the back door. There's some cash in my pocket. It's not much. My car's in the service lot if you need it. " explained the doctor, putting the key card in mom's pocket.