8. Southbound

When I first asked my mom if she would allow me to go on a road trip to Mexico with Imani for a whole week, I expected her to give a rock-solid no. What I did not expect was for her to eagerly help me pack my suitcase and instruct me how often I should apply sunscreen.

"Mom, are you sure everything is okay?" I asked, watching the woman rummage through the drawers of her office desk.

"Of course. Why wouldn't everything be okay?" she retorted, keeping her eyes on the task at hand.

"It's just that... you've been a little off since your car accident. I'm not comfortable leaving unless you tell me you're really okay."

"Sweetheart, I'm fine. I'll feel much better once you're over the border." she assured, taking a can of pepper spray out of the drawer. She presented it to me. "Take this."

I took the can from her, putting it in my cross-body bag. "What do you mean? Is something happening with the club that I should know about?"

"No, no, sweetie. It's just that there's a lot of things up in the air right now with the Niners and the Mayans. That's all."

Mom pulled me into a tight hug. I returned the embrace, unable to let go of this nagging feeling that there was more happening than she was letting on.

Leaving the Teller-Morrow office, I made the clubhouse my next stop.

My plans for winter recess did not appeal to the club, and the men have not been shy about expressing their distaste every time they laid eyes on me during the past two weeks. Today, however, their paranoia seemed to have reached new heights.

"Happy will escort you to the border. He has some business to handle down south." revealed Clay.

"Really? A babysitter?"

"Hey," said Happy, pretending to have been offended by my words. "I'm no damn sitter."

"Sorry, Hap." I apologized, looking at him. The Nomad's stoic expression shifted to me and his face broke out into a grin, making me smile.

I exchanged long, heartfelt goodbyes with the club members present. Jax hugged me tightly, instructing me to be careful. I told him I would, assuring him I would reach out to him as soon as we got to the hotel.

Happy took off his kutte and dropped it off in the chapel. He grabbed his backpack and placed his hand on my shoulder, leading me out of the clubhouse.

"What do you have to do in the south that doesn't allow your kutte?" I asked.

"Nomad shit. Can't tell you." He rasped, dropping his hand from my shoulder.

I accepted defeat, walking to Imani's idle car.

Sliding into the passengers seat, I reached up and lowered my car visor. I examined my reflection, admiring my double dutch braids.

"Ready to go?" asked the nineteen-year-old, watching me with a smile on her face.

"Yeah. Oh, Happy is going with us." I put up the visor.

"Wait, what? Why?"

"Clay wants eyes on us." I buckled my seatbelt and looked out the window. Happy climbed onto his Dyna Street Bob, putting on his helmet.

"I hope he's not going with us all the way to Mexico..." mumbled Imani, pulling out of the compound.

"No, just to the border." I assured her, glancing in the rearview mirror. Happy's bike appeared right behind us, simultaneously unnerving and reassuring me.
__________

Passing a large sign that read 'Welcome to El Centro', I turned to look at Imani.

"Can we make a quick pit stop? I'm feeling hungry."