Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The fading light from the scented candle I lit earlier illuminated my room. I stayed in bed, enjoying the scent of red velvet and vanilla lingering around, daydreaming once again of Paris cafés that my Mama loved so much. Last year, we spent our Christmas in Paris. Though it's more of a business trip than a holiday vacation, I enjoyed the dreamy places that Mama and I went to, wearing matching Berta dresses and candy heels.

This year, from what I heard during their conversation, we're going to stay in the country and throw a Christmas party for the hacienda workers.

Hacienda De la Rua is one of the leading haciendas here in La Union. It's all thanks to my father, a clever businessman who managed to put up through the struggles of starting a business.

My parents' love story is indeed a fairytale. Mama came from a wealthy family with Spanish ancestors while Papa is a hacienda worker. Paulit-ulit ko nang narinig ang kwento nila pero hindi pa rin ako nagsasawa.

Ang sabi ni Papa, ayaw sa kaniya ng pamilya ni Mama kasi hindi siya mayaman. He's just a mere hacienda worker. But the two of them are so in love with each other that they eloped! La Abuelita must've fainted at that time. She's my strict grandmother who encouraged Mama to enroll me in ballet classes when I was still young. Anyway, they eloped at such a young age, and Mama got pregnant with me. Galit na galit ang pamilya ni Mama kay Papa. They demanded he marry her right away.

Papa had always promised Mama that he's going to give him the life that she deserves. Albeit Mama is very much contented in a simple life, Papa has high dreams for his family. That is why, a decade ago, he built his own hacienda from the scratch and after two big threats of bankruptcy, he's now running one of the most profitable haciendas in La Union.

Papa spoils my mother so much. I am happy to be born with parents who loved each other dearly. I've heard tragic stories of parents staying together for the sake of their children, and many are jealous of me for having such a wonderful family.

Still, I couldn't help but wonder... what if I'm such a disappointment to the De la Rua family? I know, even if my father hasn't mentioned anything about it, that he wants a son. Someone who will inherit and run the hacienda when the time comes. I can't be the son he wanted. Pinilit ko din naman ang sarili kong magka-interes sa hacienda pero wala ding nangyari. I tried horse riding with Papa but I fell and broke my ankle. Because of that, I wasn't able to dance ballet for three months and it made Mama sad. I can't satisfy the both of them, and even if they keep on saying that I am enough, I know I wouldn't be.

"We'll have a simple Christmas party, Anna, with the workers. Simple lang at pribado. Just a put some decorations on our Christmas tree, invite that wonderful chef again to cook for us, and then let Nora create a program that the kids of our workers can enjoy." Ani Papa, isang gabi habang kumakain kami sa dining hall.

"I'm sure Savannah would love to help me on this Christmas party, right dear?" Mama reached for my arms and squeezed it lightly, giving me a small, genuine smile. "And how would you like to give your toys and clothes to the daughters of our hacienda workers? You're fifteen now."

Tumango ako bilang sagot. Mama is so big in giving toys and clothes and foods to our hacienda workers and donating in charities. She's an elegant woman with a generous heart. It's no wonder that she's captured the hearts of almost everyone in our small town and she made Papa feel, every day, of how lucky he is to have her in his life.

"Pati din po yung old books ko, Mama. Dumadami na po sila sa kwarto ko." panggatong ko pa. Giving out some of my clothes and stuff doesn't really bother me. I grew up with generous parents, and wouldn't mind helping other people and putting a smile on their faces.