Ch. 26

*Rosario's POV

"Are you sure Cesar va estar bien?" My mother asked.

After dropping Cesar off at Chivo's safe house I went to go pick up my mom and we were currently driving back home. The kids were seated in the back fast asleep from the long drive between towns.

"He'll be fine." I sighed continuing to drive on the freeway.

"Me vas a decir que te paso?"

How did I know she was going to ask that?

"The Santos found out." I confessed.

"And they did that to you?!" She exclaimed but I shushed her and looked into the rear view mirror making sure the kids were still asleep. "And Oscar didn't do anything?" She harshly whispered.

How was I supposed to tell her that Oscar was the one that actually made the decision?

"Oscar couldn't do anything." I shrugged.

"He could have stopped them from jumping you! I mean mira tu cara, Rosario!"

"Don't you think I know that?!" I raised my voice. "I'm lucky that this was all that happened to me. I knew the consequences of hiding Cesar and I did it anyways, because Cesar is like a child that I've never had and he needed protection. It was my choice."

It got quiet for a moment.

"You always treated Cesar as if he was your's, you know that?" I glanced at my mother and exited the freeway. "You would make sure that Oscar dropped Cesar off on time at school. That he ate, showered, did his homework."

"Cesar we're home." I yelled out as Oscar, my dad, and I walked into the house.

"Rosie! Mano!" Cesar ran out of the kitchen to greet us.

"Ya cásense, no?" My dad chuckled ruffling Cesar's hair. "Ya tienen el hijo que mas quieren?" My dad joked.

"Just waiting on your blessing, Diablo." Oscar joked. My dad laughed telling Oscar that it was never gonna happen.

"Oh, shut up." I shoved Oscar slightly. "How was school today?" I bent down to Cesar's level.

"It was good. Ruby and I played kickball today at recess and, and..."

I knew I was in for an earful now...

"Alright," I raised my voice. "It's time for y'all to get out of my car." My mother got out and pulled the seat forward for the kids to get out.

"Bye, Rosario." The three mumbled heading into Ruby's house.

-

"It's good to be home." My mom sighed as she placed her bags into her room. "I didn't like staying in that big empty house."

"That big empty house is what keeps..."

"You safe," My mother finished my sentence for me. "You sound so much like your dad." My mother sat on her bed.

I was about to say something when I felt pain shoot up my side.

"Mija," my mother exclaimed rushing to my side.

"I'm fine." I tried to breathe through the pain. "It'll go away." I breathed.

"You need to lie down. Come on, yo te ayudo a tu cuarto." She went under my arm and helped me to my room. "Careful," she whispered as I slowly sat down on the bed. "Aver," she was about to lift up my shirt but I pushed her hands away.

"I'm fi-"

"You're not fine, Rosario. You got jumped." She explained. "I need to see how bad it is." I nodded lying down.