Ch. 5

*Rosario's POV

It was the next day of the whole breakfast dilemma with Oscar. After saying a quick good morning and goodbye to my mom I was ready to go out and look for a job. That was my main priority today.

I went over to the drive way and stood there for a second.

This way my dad's most prize possession.

I placed my hand on the cover.

"One day this will be yours, Mija." I listened as my dad kept his focus on the engine.

I smiled at the small memory.

I grabbed a hold of the car cover and made my way backwards slowly taking it off and revealing what was underneath.

It was a 1964 Impala and man was it beautiful.

I remember at a young age always sitting on the grass and admiring the car as my dad worked on it.

I opened up the drivers side and got in. It's been so long since I've sat in here.

I put the key in the ignition and started it up.

"Don't worry, papi." I spoke aloud. "She's in good hands." I tapped the steering wheel and smiled to myself. I slowly pulled out the drive way and began to head down the street but slowly came to a stop as I saw the fam walking. All minus one, Cesar.

"Need a ride?" I pulled up next to them.

They all looked at each other and nodded before taking off their backpacks to get in. Monse pulled forward the seat so Ruby and Jamal could get in the back.

"Where's Cesar?" I asked as Monse sat in the passenger's seat.

"Oscar," all three of them replied at the same time.

I simply nodded and drove in the direction of the high school.

"Bye! I shouted as they climbed out of the car as I pulled up to the school. "Have fun on your first day of high school! Don't let nobody punk you! Good luck!"

"We don't need luck," Ruby bent down as he closed the door.

"Oh that's right. I forgot...Ruben." I winked.

"She wants me," I watched as Jamal and Monse had to turn him around and drag him away.

"Idiots," I chuckled shaking my head.

-

"Are you fucking serious," I hissed tossing the keys to the impala on the coffee table.

"Mija," my mom came out the kitchen wiping her hands on a towel. "Que te pasa?"

"I've been looking for a job all fucking day, and guess what they all said," I exclaimed in frustration. "Nobody wants a damn gangbanger working for them. Fucking putos." I cursed as I plopped down on the couch. "I'm sorry." I apologized for my language.

"Aye Rosario," my mom sat down next to me.

"I mean I worked my ass off to get into Abe's publishing back in San Francisco and here," I exclaimed standing up. "I get treated like a piece of shit here in Freeridge."

My whole day has been shitty.

I pulled out my phone as I felt my phone vibrate.

Spooky💀: Since you back in town, let's see if you still got it. Come by the house.

I hesitated for a moment.

"Rosario?" My mom looked up at me.

"I'll be back later," I said stuffing my phone back into my pocket and grabbing my purse that was hanging on the coat rack. "Te quiero," I said kissing her head and rushing out the door before she can ask any questions.