Ch. 25

*Rosario's POV

"What do you think I am? Stupid?" The notebook was ripped out of my hands.

"Oscar give that back!" I jumped off the hood of the car "I'm not playing!"

"I don't give a damn about this stupid shit, Rosario! Answer my fucking question!" Oscar held the notebook behind his back, away from me.

"What are you talking about Oscar?" I glanced behind him and saw a few Santos sitting in his car watching everything play out.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you," he grabbed a hold of my face and made me stare at him.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" I shouted slapping his hand away from my face. "Don't you fucking touch me like that pendejo!"

"I told you to stay away from him. Didn't I?" I stood there silently. How did he? "Didn't I!" He raised his voice. "Didn't I tell you to stay away from Cesar?" He gritted in my face. "You lied to me, Rosario."

"I didn't lie to you." I fought back.

I mean I did. But he didn't need to know that.

"Oh yeah? Then why did I hear out on the streets that he was staying with you, huh? This whole fucking time you've been playing me." He yelled in disbelief. "And were you even planning to tell me that some Prophets stopped by to pay you a little visit? Is that why your mom's gone?" I stood there quietly. "Answer me!"

"He's a fucking kid Oscar! Don't you get that?" I snapped.

"Cuchillos wants to see you first thing tomorrow." Oscar walked away not even answering my question.

Great.

"Rosario?"

I looked up at Oscar who stood at the curb. He didn't say anything but held the notebook loosely between his fingertips.

"Wait O-" He dropped the notebook into the water smirking and made his way inside the car and sped off

"No. No. No. No." I panicked rushing over to the curb. Water had gathered there because Don Julio didn't turn off his sprinklers and water was making its way down the street to the sewer. "No," I cried as I picked up the notebook with already ruined pages inside. The ink on the pages began to smear and run.

It was ruined.

"Happy birthday, mi Rosita." I smiled as a kiss was planted on the top of my head as I sat at the kitchen table eating my cereal. "Que haces?"

"Eating," I replied with a mouthful of cereal.

"Mija what are you doing up so early?" My mother walked into the kitchen.

"Eating." I motioned to my bowl.

"I know, I can see that. But I was gonna make you un pastelito to surprise you, since you know."  Oh, no. Here we go again. "We're not throwing you a quince and all." And there it is.

"Aye por favor Cruz." My dad sighed. "We already talked about this. Rosario doesn't want a quince. Right, Rosita?" My dad looked at me.

"Yeah, because you put things in her head saying that she didn't need one." My dad rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"It's not pa's fault." I stopped the two from fighting any further. "I just didn't want one." I shrugged.

"But Rosario, we pla-"

"I didn't want one." I looked up at my mom as if telling her to drop it already.

"Okay. I'm sorry." My mom forced a smile. "But I'm still making you a cake."