Ch. 9

*Rosario's POV

"What do you mean it's gone?" I exclaimed.

"Well miss Alvarez," the doctor turned the screen monitor around. "This was the mass a month ago," he pointed to the scan. "And this is what we're seeing now."

But there was nothing.

It was gone.

I looked at my mom who had tears streaming down her face.

"We expected it to spread but as you can see the mass is completely gone."

I sat there in complete shock.

"Some people call it a miracle."

-

"Your papi is still looking out for us even though he's moved on." My mom smiled to herself as I stopped at the red light. "He always said he'd take care of us," I watched as she held onto her gold cross necklace.

The light turned green and I kept driving.

"Este es un bendición," I looked at her from the corner of my eye and saw that she kissed her cross.

"Gracias a dios."

I drove in silence the rest of the way home still trying to wrap my head around all this.

"I'll be home later, okay?" I put the car in park and turned to my mom who was glowing with such happiness.

"You're going to Oscar's?" I nodded.

"I have some stuff I gotta do with him."

"Okay, mija. I'll be over next door with Doña Teresa." She smiled. "I can't wait to tell her the good news."

"Have fun," I smiled. "I'll see you later." I leaned over the console and kissed her cheek. "I love you."

"I love you too. Cuídate." I nodded and watched her get out of the car and walk over to the neighbors house. I pulled away as I saw her and Doña Teresa go inside the house.

"Hey, Rosario. Bye, Rosario." Cesar quickly walked passed me as I got out of the car and walked up to the house.

"Y donde va el?" I asked Oscar as I sat down next to him. Surprisingly it was just Oscar sitting outside by himself. "All in a hurry and shit."

"Went to go handle some tags," Oscar blew out his smoke from his cigarette. He was wearing his usual black attire. A black tank top and black shorts. The only difference was he had on black shades. "What's up with you? How did your mom's appointment go?"

"It went good..."

"Good? That's it?" He turned his head towards me.

"Her cancer's gone," I rubbed my thighs.

"What do you mean gone? Can that shit even happen?"

"They said it was a miracle. I couldn't believe it either," I added.

"Well that's good, no?" He raised an eyebrow at me.

"No, yeah. It's great." I stayed silent.

"Then what's the problem."

"My mom said it's a blessing," I looked down at the ground. "That it was my dad," I looked up at Oscar.

"And what do you think? Do you think it was him?"

"You know the first day that I got back when my mom told me," Oscar nodded listening. "I asked him what was I gonna do... I don't know if it was him, god, or whoever it was." I bit the inside of my cheek. "But all I know is that I'm happy that we don't have to go through that again," I breathed out. "Especially not without him." I added.