Ch. 23

*Rosario's POV

"The last time that you had my chicken, you loved it." Mr. Turner gave me the empty baskets he just cleared from the table and was now talking to Monse's dad at the window.

"So you say." I chuckled at Monty's comment.

"Okay, wise-ass, I'll prove it." Mr. Turner turned to me. "Bring out some more sauce from the back. Will you Rose?"

"Sure thing." I walked to the back.

"Is Cesar working here?" I furrowed my eyebrows as I heard someone ask for Cesar.

"Yeah," I turned the corner for a bit and saw a Prophet take off.

"Damn it." I hissed placing the container of sauce on the counter.

"These gangs... Nothing's off limits. He's not safe." Monty spoke.

"If the Prophets know that he works here, then they'll keep showing up. I knew it was a risk hiring Rose but we've managed but now with Cesar..."

"Don't worry Mr. Turner, I wouldn't want to jeopardize you and your family, I'll quit."

"Ro-"

"And as for Cesar I have a few ideas."

-

"Not my house. I can't."

I was at Ruby's house trying to talk to Mrs. Martinez into letting Cesar stay with her since my other option didn't work out.

"I know it's a lot to ask, but I'm leaving tomorrow morning. I can't take Cesar in." Monse's dad explained. "If not, I would."

"No." Geny crossed her arms. "Not even a day.
His affiliation has already brought violence to our house!" I tried to hold back my anger.

"I get it," I spoke up. "I know how you're feeling about Cesar. Especially after everything that happened. Pero Mrs. Martinez, Cesar can't stay with me."

"And why not? You practically raised him! You treat him like your own and now your just gonna toss him out on the streets?"

"Geny!" Ruby's dad explained.

"It's complicated."

"Listen," Monse's dad spoke up. "I understand why you don't want to take him in, but this is a child with nowhere to go. With no options."

"I can't." Geny shook her head. "I won't do it."

"Geny," Ruby's dad placed his hand over hers. "Imagine if it was Mario. Or Ruby." He paused for a moment. "You have to remember that Rosario was the one that made sure Mario didn't go down that path. But imagine if she was never there to keep him out of trouble and keep a close eye on him when he went to those parties."

"Imagine."

-

"You got fired or what?" I looked up and saw Oscar standing in front of me. "You're usually gone around this time."

I sighed shutting my notebook and stood up.

"I quit," I turned around and walked inside the house leaving the door open because I knew damn well Oscar was going to follow me and annoy me with his questions.

"What do you mean you quit?" He exclaimed as I tossed the notebook onto the coffee table and made my way into the kitchen.

"I quit," I opened the fridge. "As in... I no longer work at the bbq joint." I shrugged.

"Is that why you've been taking on more jobs?" Ever since I quit and since I didn't want to stay home alone I would hang around the Santos more and was more on hands. He never asked about it until now.

"Quesadilla?" I asked holding a bag of shredded and flour tortillas in my hand.

"I don't want a damn quesadilla," he crossed his arms. "What happened at work?"

Dwayne's bbq joint was right in the middle of the Santos and Prophets territory. So there was no question as to what Oscar was assuming.

"Nothing happened." I shrugged. "Dwayne just wasn't paying enough."

"You better not be lying to me, Muerte."

"Nothing happened Oscar!"

"Where's your mom?"

"She's at my tía's." I answered with my back turned to him as I turned on the stove.

"So no ones home?" I felt a pair of hands rest on my hips making me shake my head.

"I swear Spooky," I turned around facing him and placed my arms around his neck. "You have more mood swings than me when I'm on my period."

"Whatever," he kissed me and let me go to sit down at the kitchen table.

The kitchen went silent and the only sound you could hear was the cheese sizzling on the comal because it spilled out when I flipped it to the other side.

I shut the stove off as my quesadilla was a nice golden brown just the way I like it and went to go have a seat next to Oscar.

"You know," Oscar spoke up. "What surprises me?"

"Hmmm..." I hummed as I chewed my quesadilla.

"Is you never asked me about Cesar."

"Not once." I looked up at Oscar who was staring me down.

—-

A/N: This chapter was almost done, I just never finished it because I ended up getting the flu and it kind of messed me up. Anyways here it is! I'll try and update more through this week just because I've been gone. Did Oscar catch Rosario, about her staying in touch with Cesar? What do you think?

Comment. Vote.

Thanks for reading.