Chapter 49 - A Son

Start from the beginning

"Good job Amity, keep going." She encourages.

I push again, and then again and once again before falling back to the bed. "Fuck." I huff, causing Chet to laugh slightly next to me.

"One more Amity, you're so close honey." The Doctor encourages.

"One more, Sweetheart, you can do it. Squeeze my hand." Chet whispers and squeezes my hand gently.

With all my might, I grip Chet's hand and squeeze as I give one more final big push.

"Keep going, keep going." The Doctor smiles.

I hold my push for as long as I can, giving it everything I have until I can't anymore.

"You did it." The doctor smiles at me as she passes my son to one of the nurses, who's holding out a blanket for him.

Quickly the nurse takes our son in the blanket, She cleans him slightly and clamps the umbilical cord. "I believe this is your job, Dad?" She asks Chet with a smile.

"It won't hurt him, will it?" Chet questions with a look of concern on his face.

"No honey, he won't feel a thing." She assures with a smile.

Standing to his feet, he takes the surgical scissors and cuts the cord.

The nurse then wraps the baby in a clean blanket and rubs his back. With bated breath, I wait to hear the sound of his cries, but I hear nothing.

I watch as the nurse rubs his back. "Come on, little one." She speaks to him.

"What's wrong? Why isn't he crying?" I question in a panic, Looking between the nurse and Chet who also has a worried look on his face.

"It's okay, he's breathing." The nurse assures us as she rubs his back.

Suddenly the room fills with his first cries and I feel my body relax. "There we go." The nurse smiles as she makes her way toward me and places him in my arms. As I look down at him, I feel a tear rolling down my cheek.

"He is so perfect." I smile down at him, stroking his little hand.

"He is perfect." Chet agrees from next to me.

I smile up at him and for the first time since I've known him; I watch as tears slide down his cheek. He wipes it away quickly and smiles at me.

"What are we going to call him?" I ask, smiling back down at him.

"How about Lane?" Chet suggests. "It comes from the Irish word 'O'Luain' and it means Descendant of a Warrior."

"Lane Raven, I love it." I smile up at him.

"Your Mom and sister are outside when you're ready to see them, we'll be back to run some checks on baby Lane soon." A nurse smiles as she sticks her head into the room, before closing the door once more.

"Are you ready for them to come in, or would you like a moment?" Chet smiles

"They'll be dying to meet him, let them in."

Standing to his feet, Chet makes his way to the door and pulls it open. "You can come in." He tells them as he holds the door open.

Mom is the first to make her way into the room. She's carrying a huge bunch of flowers in one hand and a balloon attached to a teddy bear in the other.

"Hi honey." She smiles as she makes her way in and sits the bear and flowers down on the side table. Leaning down she presses a kiss to the top of my head, then looks down at her first grandchild admiring him. "Oh my goodness look at my handsome grandson."