Chapter 27 - Home

Chet's POV:

I'm only an hour into the drive back to Springs and already I'm bored. It feels different without Amity, It's strange not having her in the passenger seat next to me, it's strange not being able to see her smile, and hear her laugh. Right now she should be sitting beside me, talking my ear off, or making me sing stupid songs with her even though she knows damn well I can't sing.

As these thoughts cross my mind, I do the only thing I know . Attempt to block it out. Taking a deep breath, I reach my hand across to the volume button and turn up the music, but it's of no use because as I listen to the words of the song playing, they hit me hard. It's almost as if the stupid thing is talking to me.

It's about a man who just lost the girl of his dreams. He dropped her at home and he turned around with the intention of not looking back, but as he drives he notices all the places the two of them had spent time together, the place they first kissed, every memory coming flooding back to him, and in this moment, they come flooding back to me, even though thoughts of Amity.

Sighing, I brush my left hand through my now messy hair, while keeping my right hand on the wheel. I should turn it off, I should just turn the stupid song off, but I can't.

***

Arriving home, I drive my car up the driveway, stopping at the locked gate to pin my code in for the gate to open and I continue the drive to the front door where I park the car. Before stepping out, I pull my phone from my pocket and find it's early hours of the morning, no wonder I'm feeling so tired.

Stepping out of the car, I close the door behind me and once again take my bags from the backseat before closing the door and locking the car behind me. Quickly I jog up the stairs, the sensor light flickering on as I do, and the small red light appears on the motion detecting cameras, informing me it's recording because someone is at the door.

I place my pin code into the small keypad on the side wall and the door opens. Slowly I make my way inside, closing and locking the door behind me. Everything as I left it, not that I was worried, I have so much security on my home, if anything was to happen, I'd know about it.

Sighing softly, I place my bags down on the floor where I stand and head towards the kitchen for a much-needed beer.

I crack the cap of my beer; I lean against the kitchen bench and take a long swig before placing it down. As I look out in front of me I spot one of Amity's jackets hanging over a chair in the dining room, and just like that my mind is filled with thoughts of her once more.

Part of me is still in shock to learn about the Raven's and the Cobras family history, but the other half of me isn't surprised. My Dad made enemies no matter where he went. Of course he did wrong by the Cobras, he did wrong by everyone, including his own children and wife.

As I look around the room trying to think of anything but Amity, one of my cameras catches my eyes, and again I'm drawn back to thoughts of Amity. She doesn't have any security at all in her home, not even out the front. So either her Father doesn't care about putting her in danger, or he had no idea that the Raven's were still a crew until he met me. I'd like to go with the second option, because I'd like to think he would have put her in a gated community or not sent her here at all if he knew.

I let out a deep breath and hang my head. It's not my problem anymore. I shouldn't care, and I sure as hell don't want to put any further thought into it. Whatever happens to Amity in Springs if she returns isn't my problem.

Amity's POV:

I'd make it home with or without my father's help, telling me I can't take one of his cars is hardly going to stop me. It's his fault I'm in this mess in the first place, he is the one who sent me to Springs; he is the one who dropped this on Chet and I at the dinner table. I honestly can't believe how he went about handling the situation, I feel like there were so many other ways it could have been done. He planted the seed in my head that Chet was lying by the comments he made.