Chapter 47 - Boss Mamma

Start from the beginning

Even though it's going to take time away from my meeting with Markus, I head toward home to fill Chet in. He may be able to screen my calls, but he can't ignore me when I'm standing right in front of him.

Arriving home, I park my car at the top of the driveway and race up the front steps. Once I reach the front door I unlock it with the pin and head inside.

"Chet?" I call as I make my way inside.

No answer.

"Babe, I know you're mad at me, but I really need to talk to you, I know where Markus is." I call to him.

No answer.

"Chet?" I call once more as I wander into the kitchen.

As I enter the kitchen I spot his phone charging on the kitchen bench and make my way over to it, picking it up. Ten percent battery. Maybe he wasn't screening my calls at all, maybe his phone was flat. So where is he?

As my eyes scan the bench, I spot a note with a pen sitting next to it. Quickly, I make my way over and pick up the small piece of paper, reading it out loud.

"Gone to meet Markus, he gave me an address in East Cliff. I love you so much sweetheart, stay safe. - Chet x"

"Fuck." I yell as I screw the paper up and throw it back down to the bench.

Pulling my phone from my pocket, I dial Ryan's number. After a few rings, he answers. "Ryan, Chet's gone to meet Markus, I think he's on to me."

"Shit Amity, have you called him? We need to stop him."

"His phone is here on the kitchen bench, on the charger, I have no way of contacting him. I'm going to go to the location, I have to help him."

"No Am, don't do that, we'll call your Dad and we'll work something out."

"I can't Ryan, I don't have time to waste, he is already on the way."

"I'll sort it Amity, just stay put." Ryan orders.

"Stay put? Ryan, he has my future husband and baby's father in his psychotic hands, I'm going." I tell him before hanging up.

Chet's POV:

Pulling up to the small shack at the end of street, I know I'm in the right place. As I park the car, I step out and lock it, sliding the keys into my pocket.

While I have an uneasy feeling about this meeting, there is no possible way Markus could know that we're onto him. So I'm leaving my gun in the car.

Quickly I make my way toward the door and knock twice. It's only a second later the door swings open revealing Markus who has a smile on his face.

"Chet, you got here quick." He comments as he holds the door open

"You said you needed help, isn't that what mates do?" I question as I step inside and look around at the filthy shack he's been calling home.

In the corner of the room is a couch which is folded out into a bed, the few sheets covering it are in a filthy state and the coffee table located to the side of it has take away containers and boxes piled up.

As I look ahead I notice what seems to be a small kitchen. Markus' clothes are hanging up on chairs and cupboard doors as if he's washed them in the kitchen sink. How long has he been living like this and why? To my knowledge he has nothing to be running from.

"Dude how long have you been living like this, and why?" I question, my back facing him

"A while now, but I'm glad you could come and visit at such short notice."