32 ▫ Rescue Mission

A/n: this was supposed to be uploaded last weekend in the 23rd/24th but I'm not 100% sure if wattpad actually uploaded it as on my phone it said it was still a draft so uhh...if not enjoy this chapter a week late :)))

Time was beginning to run out. If Y/n's vision had been correct, the town would be set on fire soon. Freed and Evergreen had gotten halfway around the town and hadn't seen the H/c mage anywhere and the rune mage was beginning to lose hope.
"If we find her, won't we have to wait for Levy to undo the runes?" Evergreen pointed out as they slowed down more to look closer.
"We can get in, but if we find her before Levy's finished we can't get out. Once we're in we'll be trapped," Freed explained, coming to a halt as his eyes caught sight of something odd. So far they hadn't seen a single person outside, likely too scared of the dark guild who attacked them, however, there was a single person stood outside, looking directly at them, watching them.

She looked somewhat familiar only, the rune mage couldn't place where he recognised her from until both he and evergreen heard a voice echoing in their heads.

"I know where Y/n is..."

Both their heads snapped towards the person who nodded as if to assure them that it was her. After sharing a brief glance, Freed spoke quietly to his teammate

"We've got nothing to lose," Evergreen nodded "Besides, she looks familiar for some reason..."

"Hurry, we're running out of time,"

The encouragement from the familiar person urged them on and they both turned towards the rune wall, hesitating for only a moment before breaking through the rune barrier and approaching the figure, prepared to defend themselves if needed as the got closer and closer.

They were soon stood in front of the figure and as she got a closer look, he immediately recognised the familiar facial features.

"Y/n..."He spoke in disbelief, barely audible over the beating of his own heart.

"Not quite...I'm her mother....but she's in danger. Her father...Nevermind. I know what building she's in but I can't myself. Her father thinks I'm dead....Y/n probably thinks so too...He'll kill us both if he knows I'm here..."

"Tell us where she is, I'll do whatever I can to save her," Freed spoke quickly, prepared to run as soon as he knew where the H/c mage was.

"The old church, I'm not sure what he's done to her but he might be preparing something worse. You need to be careful,"

"We will be," Evergreen reassured the woman

"One last thing," Y/n's mother added "Don't tell Y/n I'm alive. She's done so well on her own all these years, it wouldn't be right for me to force my way back into her life right now,"

"I'm sure that's not how she thinks. I can't say for sure...but family is important, I'm sure she'd love to have you in her life again," Freed spoke quietly before looking around, spotting the church steeple in the distance "We'll save her,"

"Thank you," Y/n's mother spoke quietly, looking down with tears slowly rolling down her face "I'll consider what you said, about seeing her again,"

With a last nod, Freed and Evergreen set off again, running through the winding streets full of dirt and debris before they eventually came to the back of the old church. The building looked dilapidated and there was a large opening where the bricks had been broken and cracked which they immediately headed over to, seeing how wide the opening was and considering the other entrances before deciding the hole in the wall was the best way in to avoid being seen.

"You ready?" Evergreen asked the rune mage who seemed more nervous than usual.

"Yeah, of course...why wouldn't I be?"