17 ▫ Decoding

A/n: I finally finished my friends birthday present and I now have time to write again! But oh my god, I'm so behind with this fic, if I didn't have this chapter pre-written I wouldn't be able to update this week! This weekend I need to try and catch up and quickly but I also have tonnes of tidying up to do! Ugh! Oh well, enjoy this chapter!

Also, this update is really early as I'm out today but maybe it will make up for last weeks late update!

The next day, Y/n and Freed arrived at the guild early, both of them heading straight to the library. Y/n held the book in her arms, the scraps of paper containing the notes haphazardly slotted inside the front cover.

Mira greeted them cheerfully which they responded to before entering the large room with books lining the walls. Y/n placed the book down on the table before heading over to one of the shelves, quickly looking over the titles before pulling one out.

"This is where I found it, I figured maybe it would class as a magic book and apparently it does. I went to the town's archive the other day," The H/c girl explained, to which Freed nodded.

"You brought the notes with you right?" The rune mage asked and Y/n nodded, flipping open the first page to reveal the flattened notes.

"So, from what I read the other day, there's a simple way of writing and a more complex way...I'm going to guess that these will be more complex because I've not spotted all the symbols used yet," The H/c girl explained, flipping the page open to the first few pages. "The start just explains where the language came from and how it started to develop but here," She found the right page "It starts getting interesting,"

 "The start just explains where the language came from and how it started to develop but here," She found the right page "It starts getting interesting,"

Freed's eyes began running over the words on the page, nodding to himself every now and then.

"So some of these symbols are in the notes?" He asked for clarification and Y/n nodded.

"I've annotated some of them that I managed to get out of it,"

The rune mage continued reading and Y/n did the same, taking a seat next to Freed.

"Hmm, they seem to be more complex than we thought," Freed seemed to be thinking aloud and so Y/n didn't respond. 

They read in silence for a while, trying to gain an understanding of the language before trying to decode any notes however, they were interrupted by the door to the library opening.

Both mages heads turned towards the person entering, seeing Laxus standing in the doorway.

Freed looked surprised to see him however, his silent questions were answered a moment later.

"Freed, can I borrow you for a minute?" 

The rune mage nodded and turned to Y/n.

"I'll be back in a minute, you can carry on reading without me,"