21 ▫ Defeat

A/n: So I'm back, I'm still questioning how I'm continuing this story but I am still going to try and update every week. As I said, I am a few chapters ahead and I think part of the problem is I want to be further ahead even though I'm already pretty far ahead. I keep stressing myself out because I'm not however many chapters ahead and I need to stop but anyway, I will try and continue this story but I do worry that the quality of these chapters is going downhill a bit so if you notice that please tell me and I'll go back and fix things.

Anyway, enjoy this chapter!

Y/n fell back against the wall of runes with a grunt. She saw purple runes inscribed on her arm and felt crippling pain shoot up the limb, making her cry out in surprise. She didn't realise she had dropped the dagger she had been holding in that hand until she glanced down before having to quickly dodge Freed's sword which swung towards her.

Right now, the rune mage who stood before her wasn't her friend. He was intent on defeating her. But god help her if he thought she'd go down without a fight.

"Black magic; darkness!" Y/n shouted, pure rage filling her as her surroundings grew dark, her eyes quickly adjusting.

The rune mages attacks became clumsy and uncoordinated as the shadows obscured his vision. She could see him squinting to see her and managed to dodge the next few swings from his sword.

"Black magic; shadow ball!" The ball of darkness was sent hurtling towards Freed however, Y/n saw his smirk too late as he spoke.

"Dark Écriture; Reflect," 

The H/c mage could see his right eye glowing eerily in the darkness before she felt her own attack hit her directly in the chest with a sickening crack, leaving her gasping for breath as she stumbled backwards.

"You bastard. Hurting your friends? What's wrong with you?" Y/n wheezed with a sneer. "And to think I started to trust you,"

The rune mage seemed to freeze slightly before he approached her again. She struggled to stand up, just managing to whilst holding a hand to her no doubt bruised ribs.

"Dark Écriture; Pain," Freed spoke somewhat quieter than normal. "I'm sorry,"

Y/n didn't hear the last part of what Freed said, only seeing his lips moving as pain rippled throughout her body, making her curl over to try and reduce the pain that seemed to come from deep within her.

Gritting her teeth, the H/c mage tried to push herself up, stumbling backwards slightly before letting out a blood-curdling yell

"Freed!"

She tried running towards the rune mage, slashing with the dagger she still had in her hand. Anything. Anything that would stop him. Another loud cry escaped her as she summoned all the strength she had left

"Black magic; shadow rain!" 

Glowing balls of darkness began raining down on them both as Y/n collapsed to her knees, the pain coursing through her body becoming too much. The rune mage paused for a moment before his voice was heard, quiet and dark.

"Dark Écriture; Reflect," 

He turned his back to Y/n walking away as a sickening cry was heard, seeing the runes around them disappearing and sighing, glancing back at where Y/n's battered body lay unmoving.

"I'll regret this for the rest of my life...I'm sorry Y/n," He spoke more to himself as he knew the H/c girl wouldn't hear it.

As the rune mage began walking away, he heard two familiar voices coming from underneath the now-destroyed bridge.