5 ▫ New Languages

The book that Freed had pulled out was full of strange letter which Y/n didn't understand. The black printed symbols made her head ache, even as Freed began explaining them. He had started out by finding a book on the symbols which were used, deciding that it was a good place to start however, as he began explaining, it turned out to be more difficult than he had originally thought.

The H/c girl stared at the page in front of her with her forehead furrowed in concentration, trying to follow along with what Freed had said.

"Is there no way to learn this magic by doing it? It's hard to remember things from a book..." Y/n whined, flopping her head down onto the table in front of her

"Y/n, giving up isn't going to help at all, it won't get any easier by lying on the book," Freed raised an eyebrow at her and she pouted, sitting back up to face him.

"I thought you said this would be easy and that I'd 'instinctively know what to do'," The H/c girl pointed out, a finger directed at the rune mage who held his hands up in surrender.

"Master said that. I think he meant that once you've learnt the basics, all the more complex things will come easily. Or at least I'm hoping so," He explained, recieving another small huff from Y/n "We'll stop for a bit. Levy might be able to help when she arrives," 

They headed out into the guild hall for a bit, sitting at the bar and talking to Mirajane. As it was still early, there weren't many people in the guild but it made a nice change.

"So how's it going so far?" Mira asked, leaning against the bar. The H/c girl shared an unsure look with Freed which Mira caught and smirked "Not good?"Freed nodded and she continued "Maybe Freed's just a bad teacher, Levy might be able to help later," 

Freed glared at her and she laughed, standing up fully once more and leaving. Freed stood up from his seat at the bar, his hand wrapping around Y/n's wrist and pulling her towards the library again.

"Freed! Wait!" Y/n shouted in surprise, catching up quickly and adding a bitter "Was that really necessary?"

Freed didn't answer, instead unsheathing his sword, making Y/n's heart race in fear.

"W...What are you doing...?" The H/c girl stuttered as Freed turned to face her with a smirk on his face, doing nothing to calm the H/c mages nerves. He turned away again, his face still covered by his smirk as he began writing in the air with the blade, purple letters appearing in front of him as he spoke.

"I'm going to set up some runes, I want you to rewrite them," He explained and Y/n's face dropped.

"You're kidding," When she didn't receive a reply of any form, she asked in disbelief "You're being serious?" 

Freed simply nodded and finished writing out the runes, the room lit up with a purple glow, letters forming a wall around them. The H/c girl touched the wall, feeling the resistance from the runes.

"I want you to try and rewrite them so that you can get out," Freed instructed and Y/n stared at him blankly.

"I barely know what this says....How can I...?" She asked, feeling the urge to reach out and strangle the rune mage.

"Just try it, you might be surprised. And if you really can't do it, I guess I could let you out," Freed joked lightly, doing nothing to settle the anger radiating from the H/c mage.

She turned her attention to the runes, deciding to ignore the rune mage stood behind her for now. Upon trying to read the purple text, she found that she recognised a couple of characters from before, starting from there and trying to fill in the gaps to create words.