25 ▫ Thirteen Sage Street

A/n:....So much for weekly updates again...My only excuse is that I've been redecorating but like....I also forgot whoops...Hopefully, this makes up for it, I hope you all enjoy this somewhat shitty chapter :)))))

Y/n awoke to the early morning sunlight flooding into the room from a gap in between the curtains. Confusion filled her head as she tried to remember why she was in Freed's bed again, looking over to see the rune mage with his hair fanning out on the pillow behind him. Sunlight lit up his pale face and she felt the urge to reach out and touch his face however, she managed to restrain herself, not wanting to wake him up. Luckily, she noticed his eyes flickering open too a moment later, turning to look at her with a small smile.

"We should probably get going," The H/c mage suggested, Freed nodding in agreement before they both began preparing for the day ahead.

They arrived at the train station relatively early, waiting on the platform their train was leaving from for Evergreen and Bixslow. When the other two arrived, the group boarded the train, sitting down in one of the compartments before Freed pulled out a map with various lines drawn on it.

"There's a couple of ways we could get there from the train station. This one takes slightly longer but there are more shortcuts down dirt paths, the other route sticks to the roads," The rune mage began explaining "I think it's probably best to stick to the roads, we never know if someone might be waiting to attack, down a shortcut there won't be many escape routes if we need them,"

The rest of the team nodded in agreement and Y/n continued

"From what we found, there's only one entrance to the address so we can't surround it and go in different ways. It's also quite isolated, there's a couple of houses within maybe 200 metres but none directly next to it. We need to be prepared if anything does happen,"

"We're going to set up runes beforehand if we can and stop anyone inside from leaving and anyone outside from coming in," Freed added

"That is if there is anyone there, "Evergreen pointed out, to which both Y/n and Freed nodded.

"We don't know what's going to happen so we want to be prepared for anything,"

The train pulled up in the station in Lotus town a couple of hours later. They had planned everything that could possibly happen and set off walking, following the map which Freed carried.

The roads twisted and turned as they walked until they reached a long country road. As they walked further and further down the lane, they saw minimal houses and a chill blew through the air, creating an eerie atmosphere. Luckily, it wasn't long until the address came into view. A tall, gothic-looking building, black paint and tall arched windows decorating the front. Y/n felt a nauseating wave of deja vu wash over her at the sight, the feeling not disappearing even as they continued walking. When they were closer to the building, Freed and Y/n began writing runes around the building and the surrounding land. The H/c mage tried to use the ancient runes she had been diligently learning, putting them to use for the first time with some difficulty. She wasn't sure if they were completely secure however, alongside Freed's own runes, there was a high possibility of success.

Upon finishing the runes, they nodded to the other two mages and the group continued their journey up to the front of the house. Freed threw a concerned glance towards Y/n as they got closer to the building, seeing her face looking incredibly pale as they paused outside the door.

"Y/n?" When the H/c mage turned to look at him, he saw the look of apprehension on her face "Are you alright?"

Y/n nodded quickly and gave a small smile

"We should go in,"

The door was slightly ajar and Freed stepped forwards to push it open, Y/n following after him and Evergreen and Bixslow entering last. As they crossed the threshold, Y/n's foot caught on something and she tripped, throwing her arms out to catch herself only to fall into Freed's back.

Her eyes widened as memories flooded into her head

the building, the stumbling, it all made sense. This must have been the place she had seen the first time Freed had used his dark écriture; fear on her. If she was right then...

The door slammed closed behind them, making her jump as she spun around, sensing the hooded figures surrounding them before she saw them.

"Watch out!" She shouted as they were surrounded by people, magic attacks being sent towards them as they all took a fighting stance.

"What the hell?" A confused shout came from Bixslow as they were ambushed by the unexpected figures.

"Look out," Freed warned as they began fighting back.

Y/n tried to ignore the guilt that welled up inside her as she thought about how it was her idea to come here however, she was distracted by an attack sent towards her by a couple of the figures.

"Black magic: Shadow ball!" The darkness flew towards the people however one of them was quick to send another attack, the two magic attacks hitting each other and dissipating into thin air before another person attacked, this time sending arrows made of ice towards her.

Ice make magic. Interesting.

Taking a different course of action, the H/c mage moved closer to the three mages, pulling out the daggers strapped to her thighs and catching them off guard by swinging a fist towards one of them before swinging her arm around, the dagger her in her hand catching one of the mage's arms. Another appeared behind her and she spun round to knee them in the stomach, quickly throwing another magic attack whilst he was down.

She briefly caught sight of Freed fighting, the rue mages right eye glowing deep purple as many of the figures collapse to the floor in pain from his dark écriture spells.

She could hear Evergreen and Bixslow too, however, she didn't have time to spot them as she sensed another person behind her, letting her magic swirl around her hand and her dagger as she spun around, swinging the knife towards them. She wasn't expecting for the figure to manage to avoid her attack, turning it around against her as they grabbed her wrist, avoiding her attempt to slash them with her other dagger as they knocked the knife out of the wrist they had grabbed. She looked around frantically, trying to find some way out of the current situation and saw Freed finishing off one last hooded figure before looking around, his eyes widening when he spotted her. As much as she struggled, she couldn't seem to get free, despite how many kicks and punches she did manage to land on her captor.

"Y/n!"Freed shouted, anger and fear both evident in his voice however, she could barely hear over the question whispered next to her ear which sent shivers down her spine.

"Where is the book?"